Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

rear wheel does not spin easily

Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ooZie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question rear wheel does not spin easily

i have a 96 civic Si, i lifted the car to change the muffler and tighten the e-brake; i notice one of the wheels does not spin as freely as the other. one is like the wheel on price is right(keeps going and going), and the other spins but it takes more force and does not spin as long. there is a slight noise when it's spinning, but i have no clue what could be causing it? there must be some friction somewhere. anyone have any ideas or solutions? or has this happened to anyone?
Old 11-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: rear wheel does not spin easily

mine are both like that, they are not free spinning but will spin enough that they are not stuck. ive never had any issues but maybe you tightened the ebrake cable too much?
Old 11-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ooZie
i lifted the car to tighten the e-brake
clue...
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Tight e-brake or you need a new axle bearing and hub assembly.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

it's not the e-brake because i didn't touch it before i moved the wheels. Also, if the e-brake was the issue wouldn't both wheels spin with friction, instead of just one? It's a drum brake if that's any help.
Old 11-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

lazlong gave another clue
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

that seems right... is there anyway to be sure and properly diagnose that suggestion?
Old 11-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

do they do a whoo, whoo, whoo kind of sound? depending on the speed, i mean?
Also, the hand brake actually have not actually been ruled out based on the info you gave us.
Try to adjust them.
Not sure since i never had adjusted them, but don't they have 2 cables , one for each side?
I think i opened the console once and there were 2 nuts to adjust the cables... and 2 cables...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-16-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

no it doesn't make that type of sound, and i don't hear anything while i am driving; i noticed it while the car was on a jack. the sound is light or soft, like something is touching, or rubbing slightly.
As for the e-brake, there's 2 cables that lead to a bracket with 1 nut, which goes to the e-brake handle. I fiddled with it, and it was the same. I even loosened it to the point where there was no pull, rendering the e-brake useless. So, i am pretty sure it's not the e-brake.
Old 11-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly normal then
Old 11-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ooZie
no it doesn't make that type of sound, and i don't hear anything while i am driving; i noticed it while the car was on a jack. the sound is light or soft, like something is touching, or rubbing slightly.
As for the e-brake, there's 2 cables that lead to a bracket with 1 nut, which goes to the e-brake handle. I fiddled with it, and it was the same. I even loosened it to the point where there was no pull, rendering the e-brake useless. So, i am pretty sure it's not the e-brake.
It's the axle bearing. You'll have to get the whole hub assembly as the they don't sell 'em separate.