Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Rear Drum Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skell is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Drum Problem!!!

97' Civic LX 1.6L 16V SOHC

Rear passenger drum doesn't spin freely when the tire is jacked up.
There was a squeaking sound coming from there and it was getting bad.
Jacked up the rear of the car, e-brake off. Drivers side spins freely, passenger side seems to be engaged.

I took the tire off and put two 8mm bolts in to separate the drum and it was very tough. I only went about a quarter inch. There seemed to be a lot of tension on the outer drum and it felt like it wanted to fly off. So i stopped and took a flash light and I could see the shoes engaged and holding the outer drum from moving or coming off.

Does anyone know how I should go about this?
I'm fairly competent when it comes to mechanics but Honda is new to me and so are drum brakes. My past cars were always disk.

Should i get a whole new drum assembly? I have new shoes for it but this seems worse than just shoes.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Re: Rear Drum Problem!!!

Lots of views, no suggestions.
Anyone have anything?
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

hebert4230 is an unknown quantity at this point

theres an access boot on the back (of the backing plate) near where the shock comes down into the control arm, take the rubber boot off and there is a little wheel in there, not sure which way to turn it, but that will bring the pads in hopefully enough. hope this helps
Old 10-20-2010
Registered!!

thanks for the response.
I'll give that a try in the morning.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

^ yeah that is the adjustment wheel, that should work. After you get it off, check where everything mounts and make sure nothing is bent or rubbung up against the big plate that evereyhting mounts to. It could be that your piston ceased or a spring broke also. A good inspection should make it obvious.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-21-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

After you do get it off, replace not only the shoes, but get the hardware kit and replace all the springs and clips, and the wheel cylinder which is probably seized. You should be able to push the piston in the wheel cylinder back and forth (left and right) with very little pressure.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Dont push it too much or you will get air in the line and have to then bleed the system.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Dont push it too much or you will get air in the line and have to then bleed the system.
You pretty much can't take that stuff apart without having to bleed the brakes anyways.
Old 10-22-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Exactly, your going to have to bleed the brakes, no biggie.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Prodresurgence
After you do get it off, replace not only the shoes, but get the hardware kit and replace all the springs and clips, and the wheel cylinder which is probably seized. You should be able to push the piston in the wheel cylinder back and forth (left and right) with very little pressure.
When you do this...jack up both sides and take off the drums. Then do one side at a time so that you can use the other side as a reference to where each spring goes.