Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brake-in period.

Old 08-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooleric2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake-in period.

Just installed new pads and replaced the fluid today. The tech at the dealership told me to drive slow, so I want to know how long is this brake-in period?
Old 08-10-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about
Re: Brake-in period.

Not long. I assume they 'bedded' the pads for you after they changed 'em? (If required, they most likely did).
Basically, they want you to drive slow so that you aren't needing to do any emergency stopping. Brand new brake components need a bit of "wear and tear" before you can start brutalizing 'em.
Just don't do any hard braking for the next hundred miles or so, and you'll be fine.
Old 08-12-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

few hundred miles of gentle braking for new rotors/pads. just no sudden stops, do not ride the brakes.
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

I know it's apples and oranges but the break-in procedure sure is different from cars to motorcycles. Although, dealerships tell us to break the motorcycle in slowly the proper method is to break it in hard so the rings can settle in; then do an oil change immediately.

I know it's not the same for cars from first hand experience--blew my MC on my Prelude the day I got it for pushing it hard.

Doh!
Old 08-12-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

The usual break in period is about 300 to 500 miles if I am not wrong. Some other break in periods are 1000 miles though but surely not breaks lol.