Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

How to jack up all four points???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
How to jack up all four points???

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum to post in. I didn't know where to post this.

Anyhow, I plan on changing the transmission fluid for my auto. And I've read that it needs to be leveled.

How would you guys place the jack stands on all four points of the frame (jack points)? Anywhere else, the points too are soft so I don't want to risk puncturing a hole.

The problem I'm having is as I jack up one side of the vehicle using the stock jack stand I can barely squeeze the jack stands next to it. Mind you, the jack stand is barely touching the jack points.

Is there a better, safer way without causing any damage to the car?
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: How to jack up all four points???

Jack up one end using the center jack point (center point of the car on either end). Put the stands under it. Then jack up the other end on the other center point and put it on stands. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on the jack. Look at the side rail and there should be a portion that hangs down lower than the rest (right behind front wheel and right in front of the rear wheel). Let me know and I'll take pics of the lift points for ya.
Old 08-12-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I jack up the front of my car, one side at a time, put jack stands under each front jacking point. Jack up the rear by putting the jack under the center of the rear sub frame, put jack stands under the rear jacking points

For a tranny fluid change, you can get away with using ramps.
Old 08-12-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Same spot you would use for changing a flat tire on the road. Use the area just behind the rear tow hook for jacking up the back center, its a unibody you wont put a hole in it. Always use jack stands.
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

I was reading Clef's (was it) DIY and he said never to use the front to jack up your car (and I assume the rear too) because it can bend the frame which makes sense to me.

Is this not the case?

Also, I do use the side jack point (the 5 inch little folding thing hanging behind the front whee) to lift from the side. But I use those points to lift the car using the jack but no room for the jack stand. Does that make sense?
Old 08-12-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

On most cars there is 6 jack points. The 2 right behind the front wheel and the 2 right in font of the rear wheel. The other to is the tow hook in the rear of the car and there should be a spot in the front of the car as well.
Old 08-12-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

NOT recommended to have the whole car on stands. only front up or only rear up, or only one side at a time. just fyi if you like your life.
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
NOT recommended to have the whole car on stands. only front up or only rear up, or only one side at a time. just fyi if you like your life.
So, how am I supposed to do the transmission drain/fill for auto? It says to keep it leveled.
Old 08-12-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Just lift it up on one side thats what I do and I am sure thats what everyone else does.
Old 08-12-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i used to do my trans fluid with the car on the ground. after lowering springs its not possible anymore, so i just raise the front. add a lil less than what you think it takes and then fill it up to max once the car is warmed up. i add just about 2.9 qts for my 01-05.
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, jack up the right front, remove wheel, lower jack until car is level. I'm not sure if you have to get under the car for an automatic but this is what I do on a manual.
Old 08-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Uh, jack up the right front, remove wheel, lower jack until car is level. I'm not sure if you have to get under the car for an automatic but this is what I do on a manual.
That's what I did on my car when I changed my MT fluid
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about find an incline that's just right, park parallel to it, then jack up the other end, then the car will be leveled! Sounds quite dangerous, don't go by me.

The tranny fluid isn't changed as often as motor oil, give the jiffy guys the $25! They gotta stay in business somehow. Just say NO to everything else they try to upsell u afterwards.

Last edited by jsmithe2010; 08-13-2010 at 01:22 AM.