2000 civic EX changing wheel size - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2010   #1
Registered!!

wadefish is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 civic EX changing wheel size

I have a 2000 EX that currently has 14" wheels.

First, a basic question... can I mount 15" wheels/ tires on the car (assuming the 15's have a matching lug pattern)?

Also, I'm wondering what considerations come in to play regarding speedometer and odometer.

If the new wheel / tire combo has a different circumference, is there a way to adjust the instrument panel accordingly, so that speed / distance remain accurate?

thanks for any help.
wadefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #2
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2000 civic EX changing wheel size

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefish View Post
I have a 2000 EX that currently has 14" wheels.

First, a basic question... can I mount 15" wheels/ tires on the car (assuming the 15's have a matching lug pattern)?

Also, I'm wondering what considerations come in to play regarding speedometer and odometer.

If the new wheel / tire combo has a different circumference, is there a way to adjust the instrument panel accordingly, so that speed / distance remain accurate?

thanks for any help.
You can move up to 18 inch if you really wanted, but I would not.

Basically the term is called plus sizing, for 15 I believe it is 195 50 15, make sure you get the proper offset and lug sizing for your car. Most vendors will have the recommendations for each car. When you plus size it will not affect the speedo and odometer for the most part, I have 16's on mine and the speedo is off like 2mph, actually it reads 2 mph less than it should be.
civicpapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #3
Registered!!

wadefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, civicpapi. Very helpful.
wadefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #4

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

What about abs sensors does wheel size effect them, I thought it did?
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #5
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic View Post
What about abs sensors does wheel size effect them, I thought it did?

If you do what I typed above ABS sensors should be just fine, since plus sizing keeps the overall diameter of the original wheel. People run into issues when they go way too big for the car, looks good for show, but for real world driving it is not practical.
civicpapi is offline   Reply With Quote