Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

question about brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sodaCAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question question about brake rotors

hey guys, replacing all my brake pads and rotors because my car shakes horribly when braking. now, instead of replacing the rotors, would just getting my rotors and drums turned be sufficient? just want the shaking to go away
Old 10-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: question about brake rotors

You should replace the rotors, turning will only be a short term fix.

Get OEM or a good quality replacement.
Old 10-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just replace everything pads and rotors and then try to go easy on the brakes (no riding them, no using brakes above 40mph unless you have to, etc).
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

yeah im usually really good about my brakes, now, is it bad to let it hang in gear and slow it down that way? i usually only do that at 45~ mph speeds. ive done it because my brakes are messed haha. i saved this car from an ill fate. almost EVERYTHING is factory. i got the car at 144k miles and everything was factory besides the oil filter and the front brake pads. the fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, nothin was changed.

but sounds good, thanks guys. picking up rotors and pads tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

ugh, another question lol. i would think that i can just turn my brake drums for now, or should i replace those as well. they look fine. i do know for a fact my front rotors are pretty warped tho.
Old 10-22-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the drums are maybe only 18% of your braking power. so they are rarely damaged by excessive heat (unless you forget the parking brake on for miles lol). the fronts i would just replace the rotors with oem. and no theres no problem letting the car slow down by itself in gear.
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your lug nuts are torqued evenly. I've started doing this and noticed (with the exception of high speed braking repeatedly) that I rarely have vibration from the brakes.
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

hmm... yes i tried to remember the 5-star pattern... i might have done it wrong. Buying all new tires next weekend, so i will just make sure they do it at the shop.