question about brake rotors - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009   #1
Registered!!

sodaCAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question question about brake rotors

hey guys, replacing all my brake pads and rotors because my car shakes horribly when braking. now, instead of replacing the rotors, would just getting my rotors and drums turned be sufficient? just want the shaking to go away
sodaCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #2
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: question about brake rotors

You should replace the rotors, turning will only be a short term fix.

Get OEM or a good quality replacement.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #3
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just replace everything pads and rotors and then try to go easy on the brakes (no riding them, no using brakes above 40mph unless you have to, etc).
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #4
Registered!!

yeah im usually really good about my brakes, now, is it bad to let it hang in gear and slow it down that way? i usually only do that at 45~ mph speeds. ive done it because my brakes are messed haha. i saved this car from an ill fate. almost EVERYTHING is factory. i got the car at 144k miles and everything was factory besides the oil filter and the front brake pads. the fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, nothin was changed.

but sounds good, thanks guys. picking up rotors and pads tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2009   #5
Registered!!

ugh, another question lol. i would think that i can just turn my brake drums for now, or should i replace those as well. they look fine. i do know for a fact my front rotors are pretty warped tho.
Old 10-22-2009   #6
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the drums are maybe only 18% of your braking power. so they are rarely damaged by excessive heat (unless you forget the parking brake on for miles lol). the fronts i would just replace the rotors with oem. and no theres no problem letting the car slow down by itself in gear.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009   #7
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your lug nuts are torqued evenly. I've started doing this and noticed (with the exception of high speed braking repeatedly) that I rarely have vibration from the brakes.
lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #8
Registered!!

hmm... yes i tried to remember the 5-star pattern... i might have done it wrong. Buying all new tires next weekend, so i will just make sure they do it at the shop.