Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lionsmane38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel Bearing?

Hey guys. I drive an EM1. I think that I have a problem with my wheel bearings. When I am driving I get a loud almost rubbing sound from what I think is the wheel bearing. I can feel the vibration in the pedals. It's almost like something isn't lubricated correctly.

When I get up to about 60 mph the noice decreases and when I turn right the noise stops almost completely.

Could this be bad wheel bearings? I looked on JC Whitney and they only have the bearings for the cars with rear drums. As you know, that wouldn't do any good for me because the EM1's have discs on all four. Let me know guys. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2009
Registered!!

Re: Wheel Bearing?

Bump

I talked to a guy at work today and he asked me if any of my inner fenders are hanging down and sure enough the front driver's side is, but I don't think it's hanging low enough for the wheel to rub. I don't know. I'll have to screw it back up all the way and see it the problem is better. I have a gut feeling that its more than that.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-16-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If the EM1s have heat shields for the disc brakes on the front it could be that. I had a rubbing noise on the front end of my EM2. It would do it going straight, but it would get worse turning left. Turning right it would completly dissapear. It turns out that the heat shield was rubbing the rotor. I took the wheel off to inspect and bent the heat shield back away from the rotor and the noise went away. It might not be it, but its worth taking a look at.
Old 10-16-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
If the EM1s have heat shields for the disc brakes on the front it could be that. I had a rubbing noise on the front end of my EM2. It would do it going straight, but it would get worse turning left. Turning right it would completly dissapear. It turns out that the heat shield was rubbing the rotor. I took the wheel off to inspect and bent the heat shield back away from the rotor and the noise went away. It might not be it, but its worth taking a look at.
Awesome. thanks man. I will check that out too. I haven't had the chance to inspect anything, because it's colder than hell here, but I will keep you guys posted.