Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Seized Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
canadiancow is an unknown quantity at this point
Seized Calipers

I have a 2000 Civic SiR, and when I was having some regular maintenace done recently, I was informed I needed to replace all my brake pads and rotors, and I consented.

One week, and 600km later, both rear calipers seized up.

Does this sound like the mechanic screwed something up?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seized Calipers

Possibly, But regardless its something that should be brought to the mechanics attention.
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Possibly, But regardless its something that should be brought to the mechanics attention.
I'm trying, but they're not being very...helpful.

It also doesn't help that I was 450km away from the dealership I had the brake job done when the calipers seized, so I had to go to a different location for the calipers.
Old 02-09-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you have recites of all this?

If so, then you should present the dealership with the recites of the 2nd repair and ask for some sort of reimbursement. If they are not willing to help you in some way, because after all they did a full replacement and there should be some sort of warranty on work of such a nature. And given that you had to replace what they "fixed" it is not unreasonable to ask for compensation.

If they are complacent then it would be time to escalate the issue to their superior and or the Honda service rep.
Old 02-11-2009
Registered!!

The service manager seemed unwilling to help me unless someone at the dealership that replaced the calipers tells him it was clearly their fault. That doesn't seem to be happening.

The dealership that replaced the calipers says they probably seized up on their own. If it was one caliper, or even one front and one rear, I *might* believe it, but I would still think they should have caught it when they replaced the pads and rotors. But for both rear calipers to seize up a week later, I think they caused it (I'm not saying they did it intentionally).

I have someone at corporate helping me now, but if this gets nowhere, I'm filing a small claims suit against the dealership that replaced the pads and rotors. On the balance of probabilities (what the courts look for), I think it's much more likely that the dealership screwed up than that both calipers seized on their own.
Old 02-12-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

They they replace your pads, they should have looked at or even at least regrease the slider pins.
Old 02-12-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DDragon7
They they replace your pads, they should have looked at or even at least regrease the slider pins.
I don't know about that (I know very little about cars :P), but I do know that they had to physically touch the calipers to do the rest of the maintenance, so the fact that they seized up a week later makes me think they screwed up.
Old 02-13-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7, I just noticed you're in Ottawa. I'm having these issues with Civic Motors at Ogilvie & St. Laurent.

Have you dealt with them before?
Old 02-13-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, but I know some people at www.OttawaHondaClub.com has, come check us out.
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

It wasnt a mistake someone was probably too lazy to regrease and clean the slidepins. Some people who work at dealerships dont care as long as they get paid.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

Honda Canada is sending me a cheque to cover the costs of replacing the calipers and brake pads, as a "gesture of good will."

I would have preferred the money to come from the dealership that almost certainly caused this, but I'm fine with this result.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

That's good to know.