Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Knocking noise coming from rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrb420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Knocking noise coming from rear wheel

So I recently had my tires rotated. To my dismay, the guy changing them jacked my car until the it looked like it was going to fall on it's side. About a week or two after the rotation, I noticed a knocking noise coming from the rear. I thought maybe it was something in my trunk. But recently, the noise is my pronounced and seems to be coming fromt he left rear wheel. The noise stops when breaking and sounds louder when driving slow.

Is it possible that this is due to the drum brakes? Need replacement? Loose cover?

What about the shocks/struts?

I'm gonna take off the tire this weekend and look around the area.

What should I look for?????
Old 08-08-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: Knocking noise coming from rear wheel

stock the car and check your lugs first. if they're tight, poke your head underneath and look for anything that may be rubbing/bumping something esp looking for a bent wheel.

if that's all good, take the tire off and check all susp mounting bolts/nuts.

good luck
Old 08-10-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

OH SNAP! Yeah that sounds like loose lug nuts to me. This one time I frickin drove with loose lugs nuts, made the same kinda noise, I thought I was gonna die! Tighten them down, see if it goes away.

Did you do any brake service recently?
Old 08-12-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

dealership did that to my dad one time...each one was only on 2 or 3 turns with the hand....he gave them a nice ear-ful (Army Lt. Col. RET. )
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i got back from sears once and my lug nuts were barely 20 ft/lbs. you tell em not to use the impact and they take you seriously! lol. he mustve used a socket wrench. no big deal for me tho at all, i always double check my ish and retorque them myself.