Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Brakes (also bushings)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K12144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes (also bushings)

Car was making a noise that I determined was brakes. It was in to the shop today and I came out thinking I'll be needing a new car.

It was definitely the rear brakes (the fronts are fine). They told me it was pretty much metal on metal at this point (and I believe it judging from the way it sounds). They also told me again that I need to replace the bushings on my front lower control arms and told me they think it's getting to the unsafe point.

So here's what they said I need: the bushings, of course. For the brakes, rear drums, rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders, recommended a brake flush although they said I didn't necessarily have to do that right away but might as well as they'd have to bleed them anyway when replacing. All of this (plus a few other things that don't necessarily need to be done at the moment like fuel injection cleaning, fuel filter, wiper blades, blahblah) came to a little over a thousand bucks.

Being as I only paid $1200 for the car, you can see why I'm thinking of scrapping it. My partner is the only person who thinks I should just get it fixed instead. Now, this car DID just get new tires and CV joints last fall, and a new muffler in Feb., so I do have some money into it. I'd consider fixing it, except that I don't know what kind of condition the engine, etc. are in. I know at least three people before me owned it, and somebody along the way beat the crap out of it. I mean, how on earth do you manage to tear half the rubber trim off the freaking windshield?? Among other things that are just ridiculous and could not even come close to happening with regular use--we're not talking a dent from a shopping cart in a parking lot here. So I'm guessing whoever this idiot was probably also drove it like hell, so that makes me wonder how much longer this engine and/or tranny are going to last, so I'm not sure it's wise to fix it and take a bet.

He also wonders if perhaps we could do this ourselves for cheaper (most of the cost in my estimate is, after all, the labor). I'm hesitant to do so--you can only go so far with instructions on the 'net, after all, and I am not mechanically inclined in any way. I have two uncles who can fix cars, but I don't want to ask them to help because I know neither would let me pay them for it, plus I am somewhat thinking that when it comes to brakes, I'd like to have it done by a professional (the bushings I don't care about so much but brakes strike me as just a teensy bit important to not screw up).

Would I be a damn fool to just fix this car, all things considered, rather than buying a new one? What would you all do?

(I've known for a while that the bushings on my front lower control arms are gone. Someone here a while back gave me a link to a site selling them but the link doesn't work anymore...anyone know a good place? [1992 Civic DX])
Old 04-22-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Brakes (also bushings)

partner??? wtf does that mean???

anyway, disc brakes are easy, wheel cylinders are easy, but brake shoes are another story, have it done or sell the car, its as simple as that
Old 04-22-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
partner??? wtf does that mean???

anyway, disc brakes are easy, wheel cylinders are easy, but brake shoes are another story, have it done or sell the car, its as simple as that
Obviously he is either gay or she calls her significant other partner. Does it really ****ing matter? I call my wife, my partner.

Drums/discs can be a PITA without the proper tools. If you aren't mechanically inclined, take it to a shop or ask your uncles. Family is there to help you.

Could you give a clear list of what needs to be fixed? You have a lot of info. Next time, provide some cliff notes to make it easier for readers. We can help you better that way.
Old 04-22-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robbclark1
Obviously he is either gay or she calls her significant other partner. Does it really ****ing matter? I call my wife, my partner.

Could you give a clear list of what needs to be fixed? You have a lot of info. Next time, provide some cliff notes to make it easier for readers. We can help you better that way.

i know that, i just wish people could be concise.... on both counts
Old 04-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

umm, view profile> Gender: female
Old 04-23-2008
Registered!!

K12144 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct. "Partner" = I am way too old for a "boyfriend" (and the relationship is more serious than that term would imply), and "significant other" gets too clunky. But my sexual orientation shouldn't make a difference anyway.

Anyway. Aside from the bushings, it sounds like it needs pretty much the whole rear brake assembly--shoes, cylinders, drums, brake flush. Also I guess the rim is bent on one of the front wheels and so the air is leaking (in all the time I've had this car, inc. when I got the new tires on, no one else bothered to tell me about this...I knew there was some crappiness on the rims, always has been since I've had it, but I didn't realize it was bad enough to need fixing, although I think it must be a pretty slow leak). And then of course, like I said in that price is stuff like a fuel injection cleaning, fuel filter and wiper blades, the latter two I could do myself.

I'm thinking I might look to sell it, maybe to someone willing to put the work into it. I don't really want to junk it, esp. since it's got some recent work in it and it still seems to drive well. Been wondering, though--if you let someone take a car for a test drive, how do you make sure you'll get it back?
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

you take the test drive with them. Anyway it seems like the stuff needed to be done to this car is regualar maintenance. Even if you were to buy a brand new car off the lot. You would eventually need to do brakes, fuel filter, clean fuel injectors, tires, wipers etc etc. Although with a new car you know it would be worth it. But if this car runs good to your knowledge i wouldnt see why doing it would be bad of an idea. 1,000 does seem like a hefty tag for this kind of labor. I know around here they charge about $80 bucks a pop for rear drum chaning labor alone. And that should be the bulk of the money you spend on the things you need