Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

track upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008
Living Life Turn After Turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
track upgrades

Well.... after a day at the tracks, streets of willow, i realized to the full extent of how TERRIBLE our stock brakes are at handling that kind of abuse. Currently, i'm running Axxis/pbr ultimate pads on all four discs along with motulrbf600 fluids and a set of falken rt615's. the first 10 minutes of the 1st session, brakes held up just fine, felt great. the rest of the time after that till closing, brakes held like crap. brakes had incredible amount of fading in lower speed turns. Throught the entire day, could not seem to hit abs, assuming my tires out gripped the ablilty of my brakes. after pitting in the first session, brakes came back smoking, blue, and the fronts seem to have glazed the entire disc. i'm thinking that one thing i definatly should have done was to use better pads, but instead....

i plan on upgrading to the fastbrake wilwood 4 piston superlite caliper with 12.2 rotors. sure, some will say it is not needed, but all in all, the only negative feature is the cost. total, the entire setup will still shave off pounds compared to the stock application, give the brakes higher resistance to heat and the ability to maintain braking stablilty.

also thinking about upgrading my rear discs to a larger 11 inch rotor.... but that is something i'm speculating.....

and another thing to add, i'm currently running Enkei RPF1 17x7 +35 with 215/45/17.... plenty of grip but always room for more rubber, better play it safe with more rubber than no rubber haha. anyways, Nitto NT01's came out with 215/45/17... YAY so i'm pondering weather i should run them or just stay with street tires. another option that i'm looking foward to doing is getting a set of Work emotion CR kai 17x8 +32 with 235/40/17.... YES that are INCREDIBLY wide, but i've done some guesstimated measuring and it seems to boarderline fit with my height and alignment. -2.6 front, -1.7 rear, fender lip in rear have been SHAVED completely. with my current wheels, having the rear wheel compressed and cambered in on a driveway tip-top, there seems to be a little less than an inch gap.... with the +32 and 235/40/17.... you do the math, theoretically should be able to make it (if not i'll raise the car)

anyways....i still need people's opinions, based on performance gains, asthetics, or fitament.... i need your comments

please let me know what you think.....

while your at it... here are some pics

video will be posted tonight

Last edited by 04civic07; 02-20-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2008
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: track upgrades

In the parphrazed words of boilermaker...

Take the dust shields off, run some Track only pads and call it a day.

If you want to take it further, then fabricate some brake ducts.

Other wise, if you haven't done a lot of track days... then stick with street rubber for now.
Old 02-20-2008
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough

yeah... i'm gonna actually do the ducts as well, piecing the parts together.... as for the tires, yeah i actually was thinking of sticking with the streets for the time being. as for the track only pads, i really dont want to ruin my new set of wheels haha, i guess it's the trade off.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

phantomninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past

my comments and suggestions are..... you suck and you need to get a rearwheel drive car or do a k24 swap HAHA i'm just messing man your car looks sick,keep on smoking people at the track man

you have a big problem with your brakes fading? when i had my car with some hawk hps i had no problems at all, maybe because you are running 17 inch rims with higher profile tires and heavier tires?

you should've kept your other set of rims and have a set just for track days man... THATS HOW YOU DO IT!!! haha