Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Big rims big steering problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickcivic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Big rims big steering problems?

Having some questions... Recently upgraded to some 18'' Enkei Zr2s from the stock 15''s on my 02 civic ex. This was my first such upgrade and i immediately noticed a difference in the steering..While the cornering has improved, my Ex now seems to have problems tracking, and the wheel/tires will often jerk from side to side, forcing me to fight the wheel at times to hold it straight. Why is this?? Is this due to too large of a jump between rim sizes (plus 3''), problems with the suspension, or do i just need to get my caster adjusted??? What do you guys think/ how can i correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-29-2008
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big rims big steering problems?

Did you have the new tires/wheels balenced? and when was the last time your car had the allignment looked at?
Old 02-29-2008
Registered!!

within 10 miles of putting my rims on, i had them balanced and aligned. After the first alignment, when i still noticed the differed steering, i assumed it was just a bad alignment and had the do it again. When that didn't change it, i knew it wasn't the alignment..
Old 02-29-2008
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light

what kind of tires are you running?
Old 02-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you have hubcentric rings between the wheel and hub?
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

Running with some kuhmo asx's. (215/35R/18..)
Old 03-01-2008
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

if the offset on the new wheels is different, it will change the feel of your steering, possibly in the ways you described.
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

offset is the same..
could this be a problem adjusting the caster can solve? or do i need to take a look at the suspension??
Old 03-01-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

This is normal. Your tires have better grip, and are wider than stock. It will pull side to side depending on the road. Adjusting caster won't do anything. You get used to the pulling affect after a while. You might not even notice after driving for a while. I've had 2 different sets of 17's, once when I was on stock suspension, and now lowered on aftermarket suspension. They both do the same thing. Your car is functioning just the way it should.

I also have winter tires, and they are 15's. They don't have they don't pull like my 17's do.
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

ArrizX is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I have the same problem with my low pro tires.

Just really depends how worn the road the is. Low pros seem to follow groves worse then stock.
Old 03-02-2008
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

low profile tires always do this, its perfectly normal. remember, there is always a tradeoff, here it is better cornering=jerky steering