Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Warped already... bummer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Warped already... bummer.

I'm sure it's because of my driving habits.. I'm pretty hard on my brakes.. but yes, my rotors are warped as hell already and my pads are wearing pretty thin. Although, I have put almost 40,000 miles on my car since I last changed them. However, that was last summer.. less than 12 months actually.
Anyway, I currently have Brembo blanks, and Hawk HPS pads.

I need to change them pretty quick as I can't STAND how much my car shakes when I brake from high speeds.

What are your recommendations? I don't really care about brake dust on my rims as I wash my car religiously.. (Usually two or three times a week) I just need something that can put up with a lot of hard braking because I'm too stubborn to change my driving habits.
Old 04-16-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warped already... bummer.

i'd stick with the set up you have. i don't think 40k is terrible for pad/rotor life if you drive that hard.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

Heh... I barely got 20k before i had to replace mine.
Old 04-16-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

40K? Thats about the life of a set of brakes.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Yeah I guess I didn't really think too much about that factor before I posted.
So this setup is a pretty decent for the cost? What's the next step up as far as though products go?
Old 04-16-2007

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

powerslot rotors are a bit more expensive, but i've heard a lot of good things about them. someone, maybe dezod, is running a special, like $209 for a set of powerslot rotors and hawk pads for the front.
Old 04-16-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

yea truehonda has a sale with powerslot rotors too, dezod has the aem pads and truehonda as hawk pads
Old 04-16-2007

ehh, i was close.
Old 04-16-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

you lose n00b, lol jk
Old 04-16-2007

^thanks, ***.
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

This may sound obscene but since i don't have the slightest idea. Has anyone heard of Bendix/Bendex. Are they any good?
Old 04-17-2007

I haven't heard of them since I was 12, and my dad was doing the drum brakes on his Ford bronco. I'm not sure what that means.
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

Ehh it was just something that my friend who works at a local parts store recommended. But I think I'll just stick with the Brembos.
Old 04-22-2007
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Cheap rotors from pepboys/autozone/etc - $30
Axxis ultimates - $60

Total = $90
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Robb, I'm a little confused as to what you meant by that post. lol
Other than the cost of things.
Old 04-23-2007
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough

UPGRADE! to the DC2R.... bigger rotors... better cooling, better cooling.... lasting longer!, but yeah 40k is about right to change.
Old 05-06-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robbclark1
Cheap rotors from pepboys/autozone/etc - $30
Axxis ultimates - $60

Total = $90
these would be a way better purchase than the brembo blanks and hawk pads?
Old 05-17-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Im guessing if it was a daily driver, I got mine from auto zone, 40ish for both....and that was the expensive set. Then again I dont race in any way, just wanted a standard replacement. Also im rockin the steelies with the oem cover :-P Doesnt have to look "clean"
Old 05-24-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

you might also check that if the lugnuts are two tight, or were not tightened in criss-cross order they could of warped your rotors as well
Old 05-25-2007
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute

if your strapped for cash just get some duralast golds from autozone but if cash isnt an issue id go with the same set up you had.
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

how do you tighten your rotors? To get miniman warpage on rotors, always tighten with a criss-cross patter USING A TORQUE WRENCH
Old 12-19-2007
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

From the way you make your driving sound, 40k is actually pretty good. Try down shifting some more and you should get a longer life out of them.

Wagner
Old 08-16-2008
Registered!!

babzog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WgnrNick
From the way you make your driving sound, 40k is actually pretty good. Try down shifting some more and you should get a longer life out of them.
Clutch job: around $800 and a day or two in the shop.
Brake job (all wheels): around $260 and an evening / afternoon of my time.

For the money, I rarely, if ever, downshift. I let my brakes do the slowing.
Old 08-16-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

or you could just get off the gas sooner...and brake gradually instead of stoplight-dragging from corner to corner. i just passed 80k on my car with 60 of them on my Hawk HP pads and powerslot rotors. I'd guess I still have another 20k or so in them driving normally. and no signs of warping.
Old 08-16-2008
Registered!!

^^^ That works too!
Old 08-18-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

or we can see the dates between posts...

last post before this was brought back yesterday: 12 19 2007
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by manahoonie
or we can see the dates between posts...

last post before this was brought back yesterday: 12 19 2007
Yeah... I was replying to a post that came up in a search and never thought to check the date. What can I say.
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

DarkFlame is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got 98k original miles on my '98 LX. I've had the brake rotors resurfaced twice and replaced once (warping all 3 times). They did it under warrantee because I've never had a vehicle have this kind of trouble with the brakes. Tires have only been changed professionally, so if they overtightened them, they screwed it up, not me. Admittedly, I'm not easy on the brakes, but I felt that was ridiculous. Since I started riding the motorcycle, I've only put about 4k miles each year on the Civic (& wife drives Grand Caravan). So, it's not getting nearly the wear & tear that it got the first 6 years we owned the car.

I'm looking to replace the rotors with something a LOT more heavy-duty than the flimsy stockers. I want to keep the car another 10 years & do some other upgrades to it, also. And, I'm "not bad" with a wrench - I've rebuilt 4 engines, done numerous brake jobs, installed dual carbs on a VW & kept them synced, etc. So, replacing brake pads, rotors, & cylinders is about an afternoon's work for me.

Brands & models will be most appreciated on the following:
  • What are the best & most heavy duty rotors available?
  • Do I need to replace the stock cylinders or will they work with the OEMs?
  • What are comparably heavy duty pads?

This will be my first mod on the car, and the first work I've done on it myself (other than an occasional oil change, but most of those have been done professionally). But, I've owned 9 other cars/trucks & did all the work on most of them, not to mention that I'm on my 3rd motorcycle & have done extensive work on this one. So, I'm not afraid of a tool nor getting dirty.

I appreciate the assistance,
David
"I've got a torque wrench & I'm not afraid to use it!"