Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Tire Speed Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Tire Speed Ratings

I have H rated Firestone FR690 tires and need to replace them.
I want to replace them with Michelin Hydroedge (T rated) or Harmony (S rated) tires because I needed something that lasts a long time. I went to Costco but they wouldn't sell them to me.

They would only sell me H rated tires. I don't drive fast and am looking for tires just to drive to and from work.

What's the big deal with the speed ratings? Has anyone "downgraded" to a lower speed rating? Will handling be affected? Should and can I buy non H rated rated tires?
Old 03-14-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
There's no reason you couldnt run lower rated tires, they just dont want to sell them to you because of the liability.... as in you buy them, then drive faster then they are rated for and they destroy them selves and you wreck your car.... then you sue them for damages..

If you really want the lower rated tires, Just bring in the wheels and have them mounted + Ballanced. Its what I do with my compitition wheels/tires.

and no, the Speed rateing has No effect on the handling of the car... thats more a tread design and rubber compound issue.