7th gen worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacob Bonilla is an unknown quantity at this point
7th gen worth buying?

I am looking to get into cars after my latest got totaled ( not at fault; guy ran the red light at a 4 way intersection and T boned me ) im looking to buy older and learn how to fix/mod. i've been looking for months now but the cheapest ones that are easy to find in good stock condition are 7th gens. What i want to do with this car is 1. learn how to do basic work on her for starters then build up on that by adding mods 2. learn how to drive manual ( i live in Hawaii i don't think rental cars here come in manual unless they are luxury brands )

My intent is to build mostly for performance; prior to wanting to buy a civic i was looking at classic muscle cars but cost to restore one from scratch is too much upfront for body/rust repair alone. i want the car to be visually nice as well to an extent thus why i like the 7th gens stock to me they look nice as is. cost wise i will be slowly investing; car will be used to learn at first basic repairs and all that and for learning manual but also my daily driver so nothing too insane upfront for maybe 1-2 years at least. i've been reading that these 7th gens don't really have much option for engine swaps unless i have custom work done on it. read that only other 7th gen engines and kseries will fit in these otherwise.

due to where i live as well and how many days i look for cars and what i find available the 7th gens are basically the ones i see most. i can't really find any EK/EG stock/unmolested and i don't want to buy one with mods and not know wth im doing or what those mods do in general thus i want something stock. plus i don't really come across many EK/EG's since i started looking. i've found maybe 3-4 only 1 being a shell only but still expensive for just the shell.

So I am wondering would a 7th gen be worth buying for what i am looking at or what would you suggest? im particularly looking for a coupe and manual of course i come across integra's once in a while but give or take most are either automatics or 4 doors or just bad shape overall for the price. i DO plan to kswap eventually but i was looking to kind of ease into different engines to learn more as well and toy around a bit. earliest im planning to purchase is in october but some cars here are just that hard to find in general unmolested and for a good price ( not over priced ). don't want to be waiting around for years just to have a car as i do need a new daily driver in general
Old 07-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 7th gen worth buying?

Planning to learn how to work on a car that is your daily driver just seems wrong.
Old 07-30-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

If Hawaii doesn't require vehicle inspections the best options for non-turbo mods are a 5th gen OBD1 ECU with B20 block with a DOHC V-tec head. Will require an Acura LS or GSR (manual preferred) transmission.
If state inspections required then a 6th gen with an OBD2 ECU combined with the engine and transmission listed above.
5th and 6th gens have a better suspension for cornering compared to other7th gen. 5th gens are lighter and better looking (IMO).

Can add a turbo to the stock engine in 5th, 6th and 7th gens but to do it right would require some internal engine modifications to handle the extra power. Power doesn't come cheap and 7th gens can't do a B20 block ...only a K20.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-30-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Planning to learn how to work on a car that is your daily driver just seems wrong.
My 2002 was my daily as well as the platform on which I learned to work in cars. As long as you do your homework before diving into something you haven't done before, you should​ be fine, with the exception of unforseen circumstances. I'd say it's a bit easier to deal with those now because Lyft and Uber are things. Also make sure you have proper tools and parts on hand. For big items (head gasket, timing belt), save those for when you have a few days off in a row, just in case. My first time doing a timing belt, I did it within 5 hours, start to finish. Fastest time I've done it (still taking my time) was about 2.5-3 hours. Any part you don't use you can always try to return, sell, or save for a rainy day.

In all seriousness, the D17 is rather easy to work on
Old 07-30-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Lots of heavily modified D17s on this site, including my own.

But you should really look at the DOHC, performance engines by Honda.
-B series
-K series

They have the most aftermarket support and generate the most power, stock. Which means they will make more power when modified.

The 7th gen coupe/sedan only use D series engines. The 7th gen Civic hatch Si (US) / Si-R (Canada), has a K20... but it's kinda ugly imo.

Cars to look at

-Integras
-7th gen civic hatch Si
-02-05 Rsx
Old 07-30-2019
Registered!!

by working on it as a daily driver i meant like basic stuff i should know how to do like changing fluids, etc.. even then i dont work far from home right now. 10 minute drive tops right now i carpool though to save up. Idk if we have those kind of inspections we dont have emission tests so i guess we don't have those either.

think imma try wait it out i mean i want a car ASAP but i don't want to spend money on a car that i dont have a lot of engine swap options on. i have hopes for an integra i can always swap out the automatic for a manual tbh but that will cost me more. EK/EG are hard to find in stock here though hopefully i can find one as soon as october though if not then imma try hold off and continue saving up. i just need a car ASAP though cause work has been iffy person i car pool with has to constantly work a different shift so im stuck catching uber costs me about $100 a week lots of money i could be saving.
Old 07-30-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
If Hawaii doesn't require vehicle inspections the best options for non-turbo mods are a 5th gen OBD1 ECU with B20 block with a DOHC V-tec head. Will require an Acura LS or GSR (manual preferred) transmission.
If state inspections required then a 6th gen with an OBD2 ECU combined with the engine and transmission listed above.
5th and 6th gens have a better suspension for cornering compared to other7th gen. 5th gens are lighter and better looking (IMO).

Can add a turbo to the stock engine in 5th, 6th and 7th gens but to do it right would require some internal engine modifications to handle the extra power. Power doesn't come cheap and 7th gens can't do a B20 block ...only a K20.
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
My 2002 was my daily as well as the platform on which I learned to work in cars. As long as you do your homework before diving into something you haven't done before, you should​ be fine, with the exception of unforseen circumstances. I'd say it's a bit easier to deal with those now because Lyft and Uber are things. Also make sure you have proper tools and parts on hand. For big items (head gasket, timing belt), save those for when you have a few days off in a row, just in case. My first time doing a timing belt, I did it within 5 hours, start to finish. Fastest time I've done it (still taking my time) was about 2.5-3 hours. Any part you don't use you can always try to return, sell, or save for a rainy day.

In all seriousness, the D17 is rather easy to work on
Originally Posted by mac25
Lots of heavily modified D17s on this site, including my own.

But you should really look at the DOHC, performance engines by Honda.
-B series
-K series

They have the most aftermarket support and generate the most power, stock. Which means they will make more power when modified.

The 7th gen coupe/sedan only use D series engines. The 7th gen Civic hatch Si (US) / Si-R (Canada), has a K20... but it's kinda ugly imo.

Cars to look at

-Integras
-7th gen civic hatch Si
-02-05 Rsx
How are the 02-05 RSX? like does it have good options for modding including engine swap? im looking to go into B series first then eventually to K. also what is the difference of RSX and TSX? imma try do some research but if i am not mistaken the RSX is just the newer integra's i believe. i found some available in that year but all automatics as well
Old 07-31-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

The rsx is buy far your best option if your sticking with a honda from 1990-2005 imo. (Outside of an s2000, or nsx)

-build quality is far better than same year civic, and much better than the previous civics/integra

-comes stock with a 160hp or 200hp k series engine, so no need to swap the block. If you get a base modle, you can swap the head to hit the higher hp.

-since it's a k series engine, the aftermarket support is great.
Old 07-31-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
The rsx is buy far your best option if your sticking with a honda from 1990-2005 imo. (Outside of an s2000, or nsx)

-build quality is far better than same year civic, and much better than the previous civics/integra

-comes stock with a 160hp or 200hp k series engine, so no need to swap the block. If you get a base modle, you can swap the head to hit the higher hp.

-since it's a k series engine, the aftermarket support is great.
ahh i see. i am trying to keep car costs down for the initial car since i need one ASAP but also i don't care much for newer cars as far as looks go. You have any other suggestions around those years doesn't need to be honda just that is the only one i know of with a huge after market and the civics are dime a dozen here but mostly sedans and newer ones
Old 08-02-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

1st gen (2004-2008) Mazda Speed 3 (turbo) and Speed 6 (turbo, AWD) are cheap now.
Old 08-02-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
1st gen (2004-2008) Mazda Speed 3
It was a contender against the GTI when I was shopping. I prefer the looks of the 2nd gen though and it didn't have the issues that the 1st gen had with the engine..

RSX would be a good choice for OP or Civic Si. EP3 Si <3
Old 08-04-2019
Registered!!

i like golfs well the older ones at least. got about 3 months to find something decent but im planning to go maybe 6 months max at that point i figure imma get super desperate would been out of a car for 10 months. i have hope though it's always that moment im broke af that i find a string of good cars all for pretty fair prices too.
Old 08-06-2019
Registered!!

whelp fk me i managed to finally find the civic i been looking for in stock and only found this one in the past 4 months only to not be able to afford it. overheating issues but for the price and overall condition worth buying. the car will be gone by tomorrow for sure though. hopefully i can manage to find another one in the next 4 months