Older Hondas the most stolen cars in US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sgcim is an unknown quantity at this point
Older Hondas the most stolen cars in US?

Thieves like to steal older Hondas for their parts, because Hondas last longer than other cars, and owners need to replace them, so thieves can make more money selling Honda parts than other cars'.
That said, I've got a 2002 EX that has an anti-theft steering column lock (I think?). How effective is that anti-theft device? Does it take the place of THE CLUB? I live in one of the five Boroughs of NYC, where car theft happens to everyone at some point. Are there other anti-theft devices I should use?
I never had to worry about this before, because nobody ever wanted to steal any of my other cars. However, NY is so bad, they even tried to steal a POS I drove years ago by shoving a screwdriver in the ignition!
Old 09-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Older Hondas the most stolen cars in US?

I don't live anywhere near a big city, but I don't think you need to worry much about your anti-theft steering column.
You have that, and you have the immobilizer so the engine can't run without the correctly programmed key, and you might have the regular alarm covering the doors and hood.

They will just hacksaw the steering wheel to get the CLUB off.

Only the children would try to break the ignition to drive it away, they are the only ones left that don't know it ain't quite so easy anymore.

The punk thieves carjack you, that way they get your groceries, your stuff, your keys, and a running car.

Professional thieves don't care about any of that. They use a tow truck. No confrontation. No witness. No key.
Gone in 15 seconds, stripped within the hour.
Or if they have the right connects, they can make keys and program them to the car.

Slight LOL, mostly serious.
Old 09-05-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

... statistically the 1999 and 2000 Civic Si topped the charts for the past 5 years as the most stolen cars. So specifically the 'Si' because it's the top trim car. The 1999/2000 because there was no immobilizer ignition and easy to steal .... and well ... everybody knows 6th gens are more desirable than 7th gens.
Old 09-05-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yep - 7th gen does not figure that high in the stolen cars
Old 09-05-2012
Registered!!

Thanks, guys- very reassuring!
I don't see the immobilizer in the index of my manual.
This is the first time I've taken out Theft on my insurance, maybe I'll cancel it.
Old 09-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sgcim
I don't see the immobilizer in the index of my manual.

Sedan, page 78.
Instruments and controls.

"The Immobilizer System protects
your car from theft. A properly coded
master or valet key must be
used in the ignition switch for the
engine to start. If an improperly coded
key (or other device) is used,
the engine’s fuel system is disabled."

And it goes on to describe the flashing green key light in the gauge cluster.

This is the first time I've taken out Theft on my insurance, maybe I'll cancel it.
I would keep it.
Make sure it covers content theft, in addition to damage done during the break-in.
Kinda sucks getting broke in and getting body and paint damage and over $1000 worth of stereo and personal stuff taken, but all your 15 minute insurance wants to cover is the broken glass.
Old 09-05-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

I heard as long as you dont go to newark you'll be fine
Old 09-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

immobilizer is a joke and easy to bypass. sorry cant tell you how but its amazingly easy. dont worry tho, 01+ civics dont interest thieves at all except for the occasional joy ride. parts are pretty useless.
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sedan, page 78.
Instruments and controls.

"The Immobilizer System protects
your car from theft. A properly coded
master or valet key must be
used in the ignition switch for the
engine to start. If an improperly coded
key (or other device) is used,
the engine’s fuel system is disabled."

And it goes on to describe the flashing green key light in the gauge cluster.

I would keep it.
Make sure it covers content theft, in addition to damage done during the break-in.
Kinda sucks getting broke in and getting body and paint damage and over $1000 worth of stereo and personal stuff taken, but all your 15 minute insurance wants to cover is the broken glass.
Yeah, I see it now- thanks.
Coincidentally, I was just told today that I have my own parking space in the parking lot of the co-op where I live, after parking my POS '94 Sentra on the street for the last three years.
Then again, one guy said his car was stolen right out of the lot!
Don't move to NYC guys, you'll save a fortune on anti-anxiety meds!
Old 09-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ + the rent prices in NY...
Old 09-07-2012
not new to this

coupedeill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
immobilizer is a joke and easy to bypass. sorry cant tell you how but its amazingly easy.
Thats cool - i googled it lol but yea I was surprised.