Excessively low Mid-pipe?

Old 03-29-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Excessively low Mid-pipe?

I'm planning on dropping my EM2 about 1.4" over the summer and I'm concerned this mid-pipe section is gonna be an obstacle. (Shame on me - I have an Ebay catback...) It already scrapes over speed humps at low speed.

I'm wondering if there is a reason that it is bent so low. Is it to prevent a certain area of the floorpan from getting hot, or is it just poorly designed tube bending?

Regardless, I want to have a slimmer mid section before I lower it and I'll get a muffler shop to either bend this one or fabricate a new one.

Also if I had a mid pipe closer to the floor pan, will it need to be ceramic coated or heat-wrapped for any reason?

Thanks!

Last edited by krudmuphin; 03-29-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures
Old 03-29-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Excessively low Mid-pipe?

Old 03-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think my hangs that low (OEM exhaust) probably just ebay fail
Old 04-09-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Would it fit if you rotated the pipe 90 degrees so that both flange ends line up? The 3 points on the back of the cat should line up putting the bump towards the underbody and not the ground.... just a thought.... im sure you tried different positions. What "brand" or seller did you get this from on Ebay?
Old 04-09-2012

Originally Posted by TFMEX
Would it fit if you rotated the pipe 90 degrees so that both flange ends line up? The 3 points on the back of the cat should line up putting the bump towards the underbody and not the ground.... just a thought.... im sure you tried different positions. What "brand" or seller did you get this from on Ebay?
It is a Spec-D exhaust kit from K2Motor.
And no, haha, rotating it will definitely not help as the mid-pipe would no longer line up with the rear section. It isn't straight back, it has a bend to locate it towards the passenger side of the car. It would be almost a foot off :P
Old 04-09-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

What is a Spec D? was it labeled for your specific trim and chasis?... one thing I have found with ebay parts is that you have to be careful about the "universal" fit things. I have been lucky to find cheaper parts that are low priced and fit my chasis. I always look for specified model and chasis if possible.
Old 04-09-2012

Spec-D is a performance shop in Southern California that designs chassis specific kits for many vehicles. Mine was specified as "04-05 Honda Civic Coupe" from the seller and printed on the packaging. Only the muffler is universal but varies in size depending on the vehicle. Everything is designed on the actual car it's made for and mandrel bent accordingly. I just think there was a little design flaw at the mid-section or maybe they got lazy, haha.
But like I said, there may be an actual purpose for the bend, like heat protection or something...
Old 04-09-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No, there is no purpose. If they are worried about heat they would have a heat shield above it. Which I think they do
Old 04-09-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

weird design.