6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 civic ex Vtec selonoid gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnaz123 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 civic ex Vtec selonoid gasket replacement

Hello had this same question on water outlet cover gaskets, and I imagine the same applies to the Vtec solenoid torque spec. so, any info would be helpful. Mainly looking for torque spec but like the (water outlet) gasket I mentioned I will most likely just do snug by hand with wrench to avoid breaking bolt. Any recommendations for torque spec?

Also, I replaced the distributor o-ring and doing the selonoid now to stop a leak. Hopefully, it's the selonoid gasket as it does not seem to be in the distributor. Replacing that o-ring has seemed to help my idling and performance a bit. Any advice if not in the selonoid where the leak may be coming from in that area? Also, Vtec mounting bolts torque spec, please?

Oil seems to be puddling under the distributor and running down the front of transmission.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 97 civic ex Vtec selonoid gasket replacement

I believe the Vtec mounting bolts torque spec is 9 ft/lbs but, not 100% sure on that.

Oil leaking from above and onto the front of the transmission is typically the distributor O-ring. Could also be a valve cover leak.
Also, remove the distributor and inspect the coolant heater hose directly underneath the distributor. Oil leaking onto that hose can cause it to degrade, which could lead to a coolant leak, which could lead to a blown head gasket.
Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnaz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnaz123
Hello had this same question on water outlet cover gaskets, and I imagine the same applies to the Vtec solenoid torque spec. so, any info would be helpful. Mainly looking for torque spec but like the (water outlet) gasket I mentioned I will most likely just do snug by hand with wrench to avoid breaking bolt. Any recommendations for torque spec?

Also, I replaced the distributor o-ring and doing the selonoid now to stop a leak. Hopefully, it's the selonoid gasket as it does not seem to be in the distributor. Replacing that o-ring has seemed to help my idling and performance a bit. Any advice if not in the selonoid where the leak may be coming from in that area? Also, Vtec mounting bolts torque spec, please?

Oil seems to be puddling under the distributor and running down the front of transmission.
Gaskets defiantly blown leaking oil onto the plug in pretty heavily, removed replaced done, still a little oil may be residual driving 50 miles tomorrow will know for sure then, only advice if doing that gasket may as well spend the $2.50 on the distributor o ring gasket do them both at the same time same area will give better access to the selonoid easier to remove and install with distributor out much better angles, like the guy told me on the other gaskets the bolts are fragile i would recommend not using a ratchet but 10mm wrench hand tighten then 1/4 turn only if seepage tighter more but people break these boots like crazy tons of online horror stories do not torque i would recommend to not even use a ratchet removing distributor and doing that o ring will give you the access to do this and you knock that out to, even if it's not a problem my idling and acceleration improved after replacement, don t believe me watch the you tube video the top 1on the repair first thing he does on reinstall is break the first bolt he touches off
Old 10-19-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Johnaz123
don t believe me watch the you tube video the top 1on the repair first thing he does on reinstall is break the first bolt he touches off
WTF? You are replying to your own quote and now asking yourself if you believe yourself...LOL

If you want to tighten by feel it's pretty simple..just switch back and forth between both bolts often to maintain even pressure. tighten until snug with hand placed near bolt end of the wrench instead of the opposite end (greatest leverage) of the wrench.