6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Weird noise in rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RyanCoult is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird noise in rear end?

Hello fellow civic drivers,
I just bought a 1999 Civic SI a few days ago and have started fixing it up getting it ready for the road when I noticed a rather scary noise from the back end. It sounds almost as if there are rocks bouncing around in the trunk except the noise is from the wheel/suspenssion area. Its not bad at low speed unless i hit a bump but then it gets worse as i speed up. Figured because its a civic, somebody somewhere has had this problem and is willing to help a friend out! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Weird noise in rear end?

Wheel bearing if I had to take a guess without hearing it.

Jack the back of the car up and spin the wheel that you think the sound is coming from. Take a listen and see if it sounds like what you are hearing.
Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Could be wheel bearings, but you would likely hear a constant whirrrrrrring or growling which changes frequency at different speeds.

Most likely your rear stabilizer linkages (#31, #32) or your control arm bushings.

Click here, there are a few different bushings to go through and inspect:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...REAR+LOWER+ARM

Old 05-29-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Could be wheel bearings, but you would likely hear a constant whirrrrrrring or growling which changes frequency at different speeds.
Originally Posted by RyanCoult
it gets worse as i speed up

Originally Posted by RyanCoult
It sounds almost as if there are rocks bouncing around in the trunk
When my front bearing started getting bad it sounded like grinding rocks that just got louder when I sped up.

Would be a good idea to jack the back of the car up and take a look at everything that is under there, bushings and all.