6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

shift linkage bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viperpit07 is an unknown quantity at this point
shift linkage bushing

I just bought a 99 civic coupe ex 5 speed and she shift linkage bushing is SHOT. I called my auto parts store and they said they dont list anything for a replacement. Is he an idiot or do i have to order one online?
Old 12-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: shift linkage bushing

Originally Posted by viperpit07
I just bought a 99 civic coupe ex 5 speed and she shift linkage bushing is SHOT. I called my auto parts store and they said they dont list anything for a replacement. Is he an idiot or do i have to order one online?
Most dealers can get the correct parts by the next business day.

I'd guess you need a pair of #5, but you probably should get under it to see what is really bad and where all the free play originates from.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

HTH
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Actually its #14 and the shifter is loose as ****, it goes it to gear good tho. Just loosley.
Old 12-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Probably need to get it from a dealer if the parts store can't show you a clear picture of the part and exactly where it goes.

If you know what you want, call your local dealer and order the part number you want. See that catalog link above.
(The place I work for would probably want you to pre-pay for a special order.)
See how soon they can have it.
Holiday kinda screws up that next day thing though.
Expect it to be late in the week if you order tomorrow.

HTH
Old 12-21-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Loose how?

EDIT - looking at the diagram again

I don't think #14 does much of anything

#16 I believe is upward movement on the shifter

#'s 21,23,24,11,4,5 - this is for side to side slop.

First thing I had to do on mine. If I had mine in 3rd (car off) I could push the shifter side to side as far as 1st and 5th position. When I took mine apart the o-rings were toast, as were the nylon bushings and the PO had actually started grinding through the metal collar.

If you live in the states you can get the entire parts list above from NAPA for about $15. I live in Canada and NAPA looks at you like a 2 headed alien when you ask them about it (even quoting the part #). I think I paid around $25 from the dealer for that parts list plus #14,16.

When I was done the shifter was tight as **** side to side.

I've seen people use aluminum sleeves instead of the nylon bushings for a permanent solution. I wouldn't hesitate to use the NAPA kit if I could get it. There's nothing proprietary about it.

Last edited by Stock 99; 12-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

well i could be other bushings too but #14 was really loose. i should just take it apart like you guys said and see what i can find on it. then order stuff accordingly i guess
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Loose how?

EDIT - looking at the diagram again

I don't think #14 does much of anything

#16 I believe is upward movement on the shifter

#'s 21,23,24,11,4,5 - this is for side to side slop.

First thing I had to do on mine. If I had mine in 3rd (car off) I could push the shifter side to side as far as 1st and 5th position. When I took mine apart the o-rings were toast, as were the nylon bushings and the PO had actually started grinding through the metal collar.

If you live in the states you can get the entire parts list above from NAPA for about $15. I live in Canada and NAPA looks at you like a 2 headed alien when you ask them about it (even quoting the part #). I think I paid around $25 from the dealer for that parts list plus #14,16.

When I was done the shifter was tight as **** side to side.

I've seen people use aluminum sleeves instead of the nylon bushings for a permanent solution. I wouldn't hesitate to use the NAPA kit if I could get it. There's nothing proprietary about it.
ill have to go in with a diagram and order those parts then cause what you described is EXACTLY what mine is doing...