6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Help! Car died on me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! Car died on me!

Yesterday i pulled in to a parking lot and as i was slowing down the car stalled on me. I cranked it and it started again just fine.
Today, same thing happened except it never started.

For the past few months the car has sometimes(almost daily) been hesitating upon acceleration (usually second gear and around 1500 to 2500 rpm) and lately I've been noticing an irregular idle (sometimes)... almost like one cylinder is misfiring. These things happen 20% of the time.
I also get P0133 regularly and recently i started getting P0171.

Both times when the car died there were no CEL's. Plugs, wires, cap are 1 year old.
I'm guessing either O2 sensor of fuel system. I need this car, school just started!

Thanks

Btw 1998 civic ex auto
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help! Car died on me!

Originally Posted by mike98
Yesterday i pulled in to a parking lot and as i was slowing down the car stalled on me. I cranked it and it started again just fine.
Today, same thing happened except it never started.

For the past few months the car has sometimes(almost daily) been hesitating upon acceleration (usually second gear and around 1500 to 2500 rpm) and lately I've been noticing an irregular idle (sometimes)... almost like one cylinder is misfiring. These things happen 20% of the time.
I also get P0133 regularly and recently i started getting P0171.

Both times when the car died there were no CEL's. Plugs, wires, cap are 1 year old.
I'm guessing either O2 sensor of fuel system. I need this car, school just started!

Thanks

Btw 1998 civic ex auto
did u get it fixed?

u should just need a new sensor
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for replying

I should get the sensor in the mail tomorrow. But would a bad o2 sensor really prevent the car from running? After reading some forums im kind of doubting that.
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for replying

I should get the sensor in the mail tomorrow. But would a bad o2 sensor really prevent the car from running? After reading some forums im kind of doubting that.
well p0133 is the first sensor. ive never had anything like this happen with my car when mine was bad but mine was the second o2 sensor. and basically all that one does is make sure your cat is good. ive heard the first sensor can cause some drivability promlems, car jerks under throttle in low rpm. also bad gas mileage and the exhaust will sometimes really smell. so yes most likely just need an o2 sensor.

and get it on sooner rather than later because if u keep trying to drive it like that you could damage the engine. since the o2 sensor is bad ur ecu doesnt know how much gas to put in. thus causing the p0171 system too lean.

youll need a lot of penetrating oil if you diy.
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

Ok i figured it out!

It was a faulty ignition coil. I was getting a spark but apparently it was a very weak spark, not enough to ignite. A new ignition coil in and now the car is running again. It's funny because i always thought that if the ignition coil goes bad, then i won't get any sparks... i guess that's not always the case. I hope those codes were related to this.

Anywhays, thanks pwnsauce!
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

Ok i figured it out!

It was a faulty ignition coil. I was getting a spark but apparently it was a very weak spark, not enough to ignite. A new ignition coil in and now the car is running again. It's funny because i always thought that if the ignition coil goes bad, then i won't get any sparks... i guess that's not always the case. I hope those codes were related to this.

Anywhays, thanks pwnsauce!
the coil can be bad and still spark sometimes, although usually they just quit on you. id still put that o2 sensor in though, i doubt it would throw an o2 sensor code if ur coil was bad unless the sensor is on its last leg too.

anyways hopefully u fixed it for good.