6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 LX Project...where to start...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboduck98 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 LX Project...where to start...help!!

hello civicforum.com!!!I am new to the honda world and picked up a 1998 LX as a long distance commuter for a couple months cause the price was right($800 CDN). In 3 months i put 25000k HWY on it and it didnt even sputter(its at 313000 on the ODO).

Now that i dont need it as a commuter i would like to sink some money into it. I would like your input please on what would be the best for this car. I need the four doors so selling it and buying an 2 dr si isnt an option!!(thats all ive heard so far HAHA).

Iwould like to do the motor/tranny first, then suspension/brakes/wheels, body/interior last.

Any input would be muchly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

Genyc07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 LX Project...where to start...help!!

Hello and welcome. What are your goals for your engine trans and the car in general? Ie, Race car or dd? What is your budget? Are you looking to go fast or look fast or just make it more reliable?
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

this is going to be my summer DD. I will have kids in it the odd time but fast and road legal is essentially the end game. All ive read and heard is B20 with the LSD tranny? I would like possible turbo option down the road as well.

Money isnt exactly an issue but i always look for a good price regardless. researching this on the internet brings up thousands of useless trackless answers..haha..so i figured this would be the place to ask!
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Ok so if I'm understand you correctly u are interested in a turbo engine with limited boost and you are not opposed to a swap in the name of reliability. Well first let me say you are in the right spot these guys definately can help you with that. I would first suggest you verify what engine are legal swaps in Canada. IDE be worried about inspections and such first and foremost. Make sure u can run the different vetch engines. I'm sure although not positive these guys will recommend a dual overhead cam engine from a civic integra or rsx or maybe something else I'm just guessing here but I would focus on those swaps and see what's involved in swapping those engines into your car. I'm pretty sure all those engines have been swapped in so start there and again check with someone who does inspect vehicles as to what is and is not legal in your area. Finding the parts will be the easy part deciding on the direction u want to go will be much trickier. Hopefully some of the veteran civic forum members will chime in. Also these guys like to see pictures so if you give them a little eye candy you will get more responses.

Also check the advanced engine performance thread 101. U will get a list of engines that swap into your car.

And keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Welcome

K20 is the hot motor people are using. Newer technology then the B with lots of potential. Google search k20 swap civic, lots of info.

Suspension, best route is full coil overs. Ground Control Sleeves paired with Koni shocks, or Progress, Tein, or PIC coilovers.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

the biggest restrictions in ontario with cars is mainly exhaust sound/build (no straight baffle shorter than a certain length), and the emissions emitted from the engine. Engine restrictions are normally put on muscle cars and cars older then 25 years.

Regardless thank you for the direction to research in. Im gettin results now!! Ill post pics once the swap and rebuild starts. As it sits right now its not pic worthy...HAHA

thanks again
Old 01-17-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Haha, yes a build thread would be cool! Good luck with the swap.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Keep us updated and posted on what u are doing. U aren't reinventing the wheel so anything you ask most likely some has tried and can tell u what to look for how to or where to find ECt...

So please stay intouch. And welcome!