6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Could I killed my engine with what I did?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rovafa2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Could I killed my engine with what I did?

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a 99 Civic EX with 128000 miles on it. Some weeks ago I decided to check the timming on my car. Reading the Hayness I bought for it I saw the factory setting should be BTC12 +- 2.

I decided to go for 14 since it would be a bit better on fuel economy. The problem is that I set my timming light to 14 degrees and I aimed into the 14 degree mark on the pulley. For what I understand this is bad since I put a total of 28 degrees on it? My previous car only had a mark so that was easy but I got confused with this one.

The thing is that I was hearing some knocking (not any pinging) on it and started doubtinhg whether my rod bearing were fried, then I set it correctly puting the gun to 0 degrees and aiming to the 14 mark in the pulley and this knock went away, but I still hear a bit of bearing noise.

My question is if there is a chance of having any other issues appart from that?. Maybe this bearing noise is normal and it was on it all the time. I only ran the car for something like 500 miles and very quietly, I think only one time hitted the 7000 k rpm range. Another thing that worries me is that my knock sensor is bad but anyways I did not hear any pinging on the car at any time.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could I killed my engine with what I did?

I can't hear it from here, LOL

If you have a bearing issue that is serious, they usually deteriorate rather rapidly until it sounds like a gremlin with a sledgehammer inside the engine....
Most of those engines develop main bearing rattle as they age anyway, not a big deal but it can be noticeable at times.

If you really have a bad bearing problem, you will end up replacing the engine at significant expense.
If you don't have a real problem, the engine will continue to live as-is without getting worse rapidly.
I'd keep the oil full, keep driving it, and see what happens down the road.