6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 Acura EL problem... help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
righdur is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Acura EL problem... help!

few weeks ago started the car and there was a burning smell coming from under the hood and was coming into the car through the vents, turned car off.. next day tried it again same thing.. made appointment to take it to honda dealership. on way to dealership car is starting to struggle.. when at stop signs or lights when i come to a stop the rpms would die and the car wanted to die. ABS light came on then the car died. get the car to honda and they tell me it needs an alternator, they replace it charge the battery and send me on my way.. next day car starts doing same thing. car idling at like 200 rom when im stopped at a light, when i rev the gas the lights get really bright then fade to dim as the rpms die, so i take it back to honda they tell me they tightened some wires and cleaned some stuff up but it might be the EDL they tell me.. so they think they fixed the problem tell me to come pick up the car and it is doing it again! what do you think is the problem?!
Old 01-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Acura EL problem... help!

Originally Posted by righdur
few weeks ago started the car and there was a burning smell coming from under the hood and was coming into the car through the vents, turned car off.. next day tried it again same thing.. made appointment to take it to honda dealership. on way to dealership car is starting to struggle.. when at stop signs or lights when i come to a stop the rpms would die and the car wanted to die. ABS light came on then the car died. get the car to honda and they tell me it needs an alternator, they replace it charge the battery and send me on my way
Did it smell like burning electrical, or like burning rubber? They are very different smells. Very different from antifreeze. Did anyone at the dealer get to smell it? Would YOU know the differences between the several possible smells a car can make?

Could have been an alternator, but none of us were there to witness and smell it.
Low voltage can cause strange stuff to happen.

Low idle speed may or may not be related, can't tell from here. Could be a separate problem.

.. next day car starts doing same thing. car idling at like 200 rom when im stopped at a light, when i rev the gas the lights get really bright then fade to dim as the rpms die,
Very low RPM will make the lights dim because the alternator stops charging at unusually slow engine speeds. Normal. NOT an ELD problem if the idle speed is really that slow. It needs to be over about 600rpm to keep charging voltage up.

It sounds like your problem is still the slow idle speed at this point.

No odd smell now?

so i take it back to honda they tell me they tightened some wires and cleaned some stuff up but it might be the EDL they tell me.. so they think they fixed the problem tell me to come pick up the car and it is doing it again! what do you think is the problem?!

What was the complaint written on the original work order? I hope it said something about the smell and the low RPM on it, otherwise you may not have much of a case. Especially if the alternator DID fix part of the first problem.

Take it back, they aren't done. You need to get the service manager involved (if that doesn't help, go to the General Manager of the dealership with your complaints). You paid for a diagnosis and a fix (I assume), they didn't hold up their end of the deal. SHOW HIM what the problems are. Don't just talk about it. Take him to the car and make it happen.

I'll guess someone didn't test drive it to make sure it was really fixed after they slapped the alternator on it. Probably just drove it from the shop to the parking space.

Make sure the person working on the car isn't the oil change kid. You apparently need the rocket scientist.

HTH

/My opinions.
//Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
righdur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Did it smell like burning electrical, or like burning rubber? They are very different smells. Very different from antifreeze. Did anyone at the dealer get to smell it? Would YOU know the differences between the several possible smells a car can make?

Could have been an alternator, but none of us were there to witness and smell it.
Low voltage can cause strange stuff to happen.

Low idle speed may or may not be related, can't tell from here. Could be a separate problem.

Very low RPM will make the lights dim because the alternator stops charging at unusually slow engine speeds. Normal. NOT an ELD problem if the idle speed is really that slow. It needs to be over about 600rpm to keep charging voltage up.

It sounds like your problem is still the slow idle speed at this point.

No odd smell now?

What was the complaint written on the original work order? I hope it said something about the smell and the low RPM on it, otherwise you may not have much of a case. Especially if the alternator DID fix part of the first problem.

Take it back, they aren't done. You need to get the service manager involved (if that doesn't help, go to the General Manager of the dealership with your complaints). You paid for a diagnosis and a fix (I assume), they didn't hold up their end of the deal. SHOW HIM what the problems are. Don't just talk about it. Take him to the car and make it happen.

I'll guess someone didn't test drive it to make sure it was really fixed after they slapped the alternator on it. Probably just drove it from the shop to the parking space.

Make sure the person working on the car isn't the oil change kid. You apparently need the rocket scientist.

HTH

/My opinions.
//Your mileage may vary.

it smelled like burning electrical, the smell was very stron inside the car aswell but i didnt see any smoke. and after the alternator was replaced the smell has now gone away, im going to ask them for my old alternator back its only been a week they should have it still. and yes after they phoned me to tell me the alternator was in and the car was fixed (they charged me $600 for the alternator and installation and i also did an oil change and changed wipers, so the alternator was pretty much $500) the car acted up again and felt like it was going to quit on me when i came to a stop. i sent it back to honda thats when they say the cleaned up some wires and couldnt get the problem to re-occur but the advisor did acknowledge the problem was there again when i dropped it off but said they had fixed it at no charge this time. i didnt even make it home after leaving honda the for the 2nd time and it was doing the same thing again, so now i must go back for a 3rd time tommorow! and all i was told if the car dies on the way their they can give me a tow truck number and if the problem is with what they did they would re-imburse me for the tow. not too impressed with this honda dealership
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Burning electrical= burnt wire(s). Tell them they need to track down the burnt wire(s) and replace them.

Low voltage can ruin the ELD, MCU (multiplex control unit, built into the under-dash fuse box), or ECM/PCM. Have them diagnose for those also.
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by righdur
it smelled like burning electrical, the smell was very stron inside the car aswell but i didnt see any smoke. and after the alternator was replaced the smell has now gone away, im going to ask them for my old alternator back its only been a week they should have it still. and yes after they phoned me to tell me the alternator was in and the car was fixed (they charged me $600 for the alternator and installation and i also did an oil change and changed wipers, so the alternator was pretty much $500) the car acted up again and felt like it was going to quit on me when i came to a stop. i sent it back to honda thats when they say the cleaned up some wires and couldnt get the problem to re-occur but the advisor did acknowledge the problem was there again when i dropped it off but said they had fixed it at no charge this time. i didnt even make it home after leaving honda the for the 2nd time and it was doing the same thing again, so now i must go back for a 3rd time tommorow! and all i was told if the car dies on the way their they can give me a tow truck number and if the problem is with what they did they would re-imburse me for the tow. not too impressed with this honda dealership
Holy wall of words, Batman!
Dude, at least use some capital letters. Your post is kinda hard to read like it is...

They won't have your alternator, it has been sent back for a core (to be rebuilt). It was sent back the next day, if not the same day. If you wanted to see it, you had to ask for it right then, not a week later. If you wanted to keep the old one, they would have to charge you for the core fee.

It didn't have to be wires on the car burning, an alternator can make an awful lot of stench by itself. It's FULL of wire.

but the advisor did acknowledge the problem was there again when i dropped it off
I think you probably have a case, if the adviser is willing to remember this part. Be forewarned, chances and good that it will be a completely unrelated problem and you are responsible for paying for all of it.