6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Internal Upgrades D16y8

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011
Seeking Knowledge From the Car GODS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
counterkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Internal Upgrades D16y8

Hey all this is my first post! I have a 98 ex coupe, and I'm getting ready to send the engine off to the machine shop to be rebuilt. I was wondering if there are any OEM pistons/rods that could be swapped into my block for a performance upgrade. I plan on putting a Bisimoto street cam in it, so it would be nice to do a mild upgrade on the bottom of the block. I'm not looking for anything extreme just trying to get the 125hp that it has at the crank to hit the wheels and anything extra is just a bonus.
Thank You for your help
The kid behind the counter
Old 06-17-2011

Re: Internal Upgrades D16y8

Anything at all would be helpful!!!
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sorry brother, this site is geared more towards 7th gen Civics. Try http://www.honda-tech.com/ they will overwhelm you with info.
Old 06-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

the top end of the D16Y8 and D17 are very similar and I have quite a bit of experience with both engines.

If you drop in a stage 1 cam and I/H/E and you have a mt then you'll easily rreach you 125whp goal. If you decide you want more power than that then you could achieve it with more aggressive cams and P&P without modifying the bottom end. There's no need to touch the bottom end and begin bumping up the compression for a N/A build until you are want to push above 160ish hp.
Old 06-18-2011

well my car is not running right now and I will be sending it to the machine shop so it makes sense to me to change rods and pistons for a mild upgrade. just looking to sway to d17a2 internals and wondering if there will be clearance problems. Thanks for your input
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by counterkid
well my car is not running right now and I will be sending it to the machine shop so it makes sense to me to change rods and pistons for a mild upgrade. just looking to sway to d17a2 internals and wondering if there will be clearance problems. Thanks for your input
That doesn't make sense if your only going for 125whp.
Old 06-18-2011

125 is my low expectations, im willing to pick up bonus hp anyday
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Like I said, if you want 125hp then puit in a stage 1 cam and be done with it.

If you want to change your bottom end that's not a matter of bonus horse power, thats an investment of thousands of dollars into an old engine. You'll need engine management, you'll need tuning, you'll need a definite direction of where your taking the build whether it be for turbo or N/A.
Old 06-18-2011

well im hoping to do a mild NA build, end all i want to have around 160+ at the wheels. d17a2 rods(assuming their longer), haven't sourced the right pistons(don't have much info on clearance). I also wanna fill my block with OEM parts considering i can get them for wholesale price(counter kid = works at parts store). looking to take my economy car and turn it into a mild sports car. give my y8 some much needed torque
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

So, the truth comes out, 160whp is much more difficult than 125whp.

You can use the D17a2 pistons or milled down D16 pistons.
The rods are the same length.
I'm assuming what your thinking is a D17 stroker?
Old 06-19-2011

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, which piston when used with the stock rod would bump my cp higher than stock?