6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

New Here, My ride and future plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic2fast4U is an unknown quantity at this point
New Here, My ride and future plans

Hi, Im new here and Im turning 16 in a few days and my parents already bought me my first car

Take a look

its a 1997 Honda civic with 140k miles, Auto, lx model. It pretty quick, but I want to make it quicker

I want to get a full catback exhaust off ebay but just will change the muffler right now to a JDM dual Muffler

Also I found a preformance chip on ebay that gives an extra 60 horsepower
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-1-P...d#ht_953wt_960

and an electric turbo that gives an extra 50 horsepower

So with the chip, turbo, and exhaust I should have about 240hp and dustin mustangs like theres no tomorrow.... not like it doesnt already

after Im done with that I want to put a sweet bodykit and paint it candy red

Im looking to get this bodykit

and maybe some chrome dragon decals on the side.

Then maybe some aftermarket clear taillights, which look sick. and also projector front headlights with an hid kit.

Well that is all for now, please tell me what you think or some changes I should make before I start modding my car. thanks
Old 03-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: New Here, My ride and future plans

I'm not fond of trolls, so if your a legit noob better smarten up quick. I'm watching.
Old 03-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the site.....
Name:  tumblr_lgyq9zZczi1qc3ioj.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  33.8 KB
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

I dont get what you mean, haterz dont hate here... looking for some good advice
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Oh and im trying to find what pair of rims would be nice
Old 03-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If you want good advice use common sense and search; electric turbos and chips are worthless junk that won't give you any gains.
Old 03-04-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Few words of advice. With an automatic, you aren't going to see a car with a small engine like a Civic's full potential. And I hope if you plan on doing all of this, you have money. Getting that kind of power out of something like that isn't cheap. A dual muffler on a single pipe exhaust isn't going to do anything. The only Civic I've seen with a stock dual tip is the EP3. Look around the site to find smarter ways to spend money on performance if you're serious.
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you some good advice.

Electric supercharger = Garbage 0 HP gain.
Mod Chip = Junk 0 HP gain.
Dual Muffler on a civic is just RICE as it gets, don't even bother. Don't even bother with the muffler until you can buy a quality exhaust system.
Clear taillights are crap and don't look good, they are so 99.
That body kit is MASSIVE and after a month of it being on the car it will be DESTROYED. The pic there is probably of a show car that doesnt even get driven. It looks like crap for 1 and if it isn't a showcar it looks nothing like that right now
Chrome Dragons? Self Explanitory.

Projectors with an HID kit is nice if done PROPERLY.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

this must be a joke i wish i could save that little honda and all the rest from all the ricers in the world :/ this is so damn funny if the dude is being serious though HAHAHAHA
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If he really is 15 its quite possible he is serious
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

well I am going to throw in some honest advice, here before the flaming ensues.
1) the stock d16y7 engine in your civic is in stock form a glorified lawnmower engine, it gets great fuel mileage but not much power. I have the same engine with all the bolt ons (aem cold air intake with k&n filter, full exhaust (dc 4-2-1 header with apexi catback) and added a msd sci ign system. The car still is not powerful its peppy and gets fantastic gas mileage but its no rocket.
2) All these gimmicks that you see like electric turbo/superchargers, cheap chips etc are all junk, you would be better off putting that money into rims or engine.
3) How the car looks is done to your liking depsite what others may think (rice or not so long as it looks good to you) but when you ask what others think there are going to be "haters" as you call them. Its the nature of the beast with a public forum so suck up the criticism.
4) Any real power adders are going to cost money, cams, engine builds, turbo kits, superchargers whatever. If you want real power from this engine you are going to have to drop the automatic and go 5 spd. Its not impossible to keep the automatic but you will dump about $1500 into parts to make it a performance automatic plus labour.
5) Just bolting on a turbo and calling it a day = engine failure. You need to add fuel management, bigger injectors, and a better fuel pump to net you any real noticeable gains as well as build up the bottom end of the engine as its relatively weak and will not hold up to much more than an additional 40 hp over time.
6) If you do add forced induction then also look into upgrading the brakes and the suspension since both will be needed to keep that power to the ground and get you stopped when you are using it. (and you best be doing that on a track and not street racing or I will personally kick your ***, street racers are idiots plain and simple end of story)
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome
Now i dont think your serious but if you are then
1. Electric turbos are crap all they will do is interfer with air flow or if the fins break kill u motor
2. Chips, all they do is make your car think its cold out and make it run rich so you burn more gas
3. The looks more like a tip then a muffler to me so it wont do anything
4. Body kits, tribal art and tacky paint jobs are soo 90's

Seems to me Like you just watched fast and furious for the first time lol, if you want a nice 'clean' respectable car make it look almost oem so lip kit, lower it on some nice rims(but not over kill 20 inch chroms) fog lights , hids, projecters if done right, now exhausts were i come from people dont like automatic farters but to each his own right? What i did with my four door to give it grunt since its auto i removed the resonator and air intake, were as with my hatchback i will be running a 2.5 inch full exhaust since its 5 speed, now to me your post seemed like you are trying to make fun of us civic owners, so you know we know they arnt fast most of us drive them cause of affortablity and how easy they are to work on, and handling and comfort is quit good over all its a fun car to drive most of us dont drive them for speed or street racing but for looks.

This is a good forum and we have little to no bashing on it so it would be nice to keep it that way this is deffinatly the best forum i have ever been on.

Ps sorry for the grammer and spelling im on my iphone at work lol
I <3 civicforums.com
Old 03-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

We are not exactly "hating" on you per say

If you actually researched and looked around,
There is no such thing as electric turbos, performance chips under $50 that will do your car any good.
If you're really looking into perfomance with a real turbo, that will cost over $1,000 easily
A real chip/ECU mod? $300+ easily

Don't believe everything you read, 99% of advertisement, is false advertisement.

How you want your car to look, is completely up to you.
But keep in mind, that if you add body kits and decals to your car, you're waiting for people to scream "ricer" at you

Civics are grocery getters, not rocket cars.
The ones you see on fast and furious? They are professionally modified with over $10~15k spent on modifications.
Adding a couple bolt ons will not make your car go 0-60 in 5 seconds

Honestly, I could probably sell a brick, telling everyone that it's the best brick in the world, and if you add it to your car, it would give you perfect weight distribution regardless of car make and model...and people would still buy it.
At the end of the day, it's still a brick, no matter how you glorify it.

Do it right, or don't do it at all
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Do it right the first time or do it twice and spend twice the amount lmao
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marek91
with my hatchback i will be running a 2.5 inch full exhaust since its 5 speed.

I <3 civicforums.com
2.5" on a stock hatchack? Thats is overkill brother, 2" is tons.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

I know but i got plans for it lol so i figure if im doing the exhaust now im gonna get it done so when i swap to a b next year or just boost my D i will be all set lol i know 2.5 is alot and it might not hold back pressure but should be fine for a summer of driving thanks tho
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Oh ok, well I guess I wont get the body kit if its trash. Stock body plus lips? maybe tinted taillights since I dont like the amber. and I guess Ill search for a manual swap.
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?!?!!!!???
you were actually serious?!?!?

Well, as starters, forget about power mods. Even the EX model (one above the LX, different engine) does not get much power add with cheap modifications.
Enjoy the gas mileage, it will help save money for maintenace (yes, maintaining a car in good shape costs much more than eventual oil changes - as safety i keep some money aside for any emergency break-down just for the cars - i have 2 cars, BTW - 1.5k each at the least to avoid any surprises) and finally help save for future mods or future car. Maintenance first of all.
Shortcut cheap stuff that works is very rare (they exist, but veeery rare).

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-04-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

you mean slapping some performance stickers and a body kit/rims does not add 40 hp and improve your street cred? lol, sorry had to say it.
Old 03-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Civic2fast4U
Oh ok, well I guess I wont get the body kit if its trash. Stock body plus lips? maybe tinted taillights since I dont like the amber. and I guess Ill search for a manual swap.
Thats more like it, the only reason you didn't get banned instantly is because your 15.

You could literally buy a second car identical to yours for the cost of a manual swap, unless your capable of doing the work yourself.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

i drove my friend lx auto and its good at highways and good gas
it does 60 mph just fine and for a 15-16 year old
u dont need to go any faster or try to go any faster.
stick with looks and u will be respected, even better keep it stock and just buy sound systems for the car, since at young ages u youngsters like loud music.

oh and keep the graphic decals and jumbo body kits in need for speed only,
body kits ruin ur car as it start to fall apart and makes u lose ur interest in ur own car.

Last edited by asianboy781; 03-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

id say sell it and get a 99 or 00 in those 2 years they made that car a lot easier to work with and less hideous imo and if you decide to go that route get a vp theyre cheap but it comes with more than the dx and will not be miserable to drive in the summer
Old 03-05-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Yeah, but EM1's are hard to find, especially if you're looking for a clean one :S
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

EM1 are the 99-00 civic si
yes they are hard to find specially in stock forms
but as long as the stock motor and tranny is still there
then u can restore most of the body parts
dealers still carry em1 parts
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

Two things that will easily change the look of any car are tint and nice rims.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Yeah, but EM1's are hard to find, especially if you're looking for a clean one :S
Heh. I found mine in a patch of grass after 6 months trying to search for a car with a manual transmission .
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
Heh. I found mine in a patch of grass after 6 months trying to search for a car with a manual transmission .
mines came with stock interior and radio
i was lucky enough to to find the engine stock even with the airbox
the only thing that was missing was stock wheels and front lip
car had a new paint job