6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

99 Civic Man Trans Bearing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dizz is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic Man Trans Bearing Noise

Hi to all of you,I`m new here,and hoping to get ideas to my noise.My DX has 232,000 miles,didn`t change the gear lube till 170,000 miles,but the old oil looked new,put regular engine oil in till 225,000 miles,then put Honda manual gear lube in.
I have noise sounding like from transaxle.While driving,say 25mph up a hill,I hear a bearing type noise,in all gears,while pulling.If it`s in 3rd,and I go to 2nt,it gets louder,and less noisy in higher gears.It`s getting worse every week.I don`t feel anything,just the noise.I can now hear it with mild pushing on gas going down hill,and I live in the hills.
Seems to me it has to be on the imput side,since it`s related to engine speed.This rules out axles,and output side bearings,I would think.If you push the clutch in,noise leaves.I have no unusual noises while sitting still,with clutch in,or out.I searched for this issue,but only found about a weak imput bearing in later models,with different woes.
I would like to get a idea of what parts to order&how difficult to install.@ 200,000 miles,I did head gasket,timing belt&head job along with Honda piston rings.Car runs great,and I drive 100 miles a day to work,a lot rough road&260 curves,from work to home one way(don`t ask me how I know how many Thanks For any Thoughts,Dizz
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

bkcajd00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 99 Civic Man Trans Bearing Noise

I have the exact same problem with my 96. Did you have any luck yet?
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

i have 00 si and i have the same whirrring noise coming from the tranny
specially if i down shift it gets very loud
people told me it was the flywheel and throw out bearing.
last week i just change the clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel bearing
and change the fluid using honda tranny fluid.
i notice the noise got less but it still there.
i search google and they sell tranny bearing kit with synchro
im thinking its my synchro and bearings inside the tranny.
go get urself a free healms http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals
and this company makes the tranny rebuild stuff for hondas
so u can get the idea http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/
i will be rebuilding my tranny when spring time hits
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Asian,I think you are on to something.As to the throw out bearing,it isn`t a player,unless the clutch is pressed,as far as I know.That Honda manual fluid is $$,but well worth the price,and if I`d replaced it at more reasonable milage,I may not be having issues.All in all,iidn`t notice your milage,but at over 230K,it may be reasonable to hear some noise with bearings.My noise kinda whirls,or so to speak is a repeating cycle of noise every coulpe seconds.I noticed my sync`s wearing after 200X.If I`t pull out fast,and kinda speed shift to 2nd,I will get a grind,also inother gears,but it`s the worst of it.I`d say,as you I`m looking at a tranny re-build,I`ll run it till spring,and as they say where I work,I`ll run it,and watch it!Thank`s
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

my 00 civic si is at 136k miles and i have a 95 prelude si at 130k miles manual and it doesnt make the same noise, it smooth as hell but for my civic it grinds on third if i punch it really fast, the whirring takes over my exhaust noise apex world sport2
but after the flushed i dont hear it as loud, im not afraid to take the tranny off apart since its a manual but for automatic i would just junk the damn thing. well good luck to u . after the rebuild then we can go in action again
oh and this is the second time i did the flushed since my last clutch and flywheel changed at 80k miles
yeah honda manual tranny fluid i got 3 quarts and it cost me 27 bucks
that thing is money
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

stevek is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds familiar to my 2000 hx with 230k miles. Mechanic says input bearing. Sounds like a clicking noise, but dont feel anything and no performance issues. Mechanic says it will get louder as it gets worse but isn't going to damage anything. I am original owner, and on original clutch!
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stevek
Sounds familiar to my 2000 hx with 230k miles. Mechanic says input bearing. Sounds like a clicking noise, but dont feel anything and no performance issues. Mechanic says it will get louder as it gets worse but isn't going to damage anything. I am original owner, and on original clutch!
thats hard core man orig clutch and owner with 230k miles
i change mines twice in 5 years period, one of my tech at work said, if you drive really well your clutch will last the same life spand of your engine
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

I`m at 230,ooo miles,and also original clutch.At 100k,my rear engine seal went out.I`d put it on a very hight volume&pressure truck wash rack,where I could get under it&flushed all underside.Shortly after,main seal went out&both front wheel bearings.Anyway,I told them to replace the clutch if necessary&was told it was still at near new specs.
since then,I`ve replaced many front wheel bearings.Seems the seal on the inside is the culprit.A little water will get in&rust&failure.I haven`t bought any Honda bearings,but have used different brand from Japan,and one from China(Motor City),it lasted one month.You gotta have a press&torch to do it right,and it takes me about 3 hrs to the side.
For me,head gaskets,wheel bearings&minor oil consumption have been my most troublesome woes with this car,but still consider it&Toyota Corrola to be the best out there.I`m wondering,when I have to replace,if maybe I`ll try another brand,as I don`t like the new Civics,I had a new 07 for a couple days,and the park brake lever hit me in the side of the leg&ride was much more harsh than this 09.
Asian,I looked at the rebuilt tranny`s on the site from your lead above,around $700,not sure about the shipping.I`m wondering if any here have tried them?
Regards,Dizz
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dizz
I`m at 230,ooo miles,and also original clutch.At
100k,my rear engine seal went out.I`d put it on a very hight volume&pressure truck wash rack,where I could get under it&flushed all underside.Shortly after,main seal went out&both front wheel bearings.Anyway,I told them to replace the clutch if necessary&was told it was still at near new specs.
since then,I`ve replaced many front wheel bearings.Seems the seal on the inside is the culprit.A little water will get in&rust&failure.I haven`t bought any Honda bearings,but have used different brand from Japan,and one from China(Motor City),it lasted one month.You gotta have a press&torch to do it right,and it takes me about 3 hrs to the side.
For me,head gaskets,wheel bearings&minor oil consumption have been my most troublesome woes with this car,but still consider it&Toyota Corrola to be the best out there.I`m wondering,when I have to replace,if maybe I`ll try another brand,as I don`t like the new Civics,I had a new 07 for a couple days,and the park brake lever hit me in the side of the leg&ride was much more harsh than this 09.
Asian,I looked at the rebuilt tranny`s on the site from your lead above,around $700,not sure about the shipping.I`m wondering if any here have tried them?
Regards,Dizz

im currently changing the vtec solonoid gasket check out my new post it has pics, i check the website most of them are rebuilds tranny with new inside parts, im pretty sure it meets or exceed factory spec and as we all know our us honda have some week synchros, anyway the shipping is 300 freight with return label so i think thats a good offer, cuz if u look at it i live in mass and this company is in ca so thats like across the united states and thats pretty damn far, and so far i havent replace any of my wheel bearings since they are still good and ima start slowly fix up the car since my new home has a garage i can now manage the time.