6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Got one for ya, boys

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point
Got one for ya, boys

So I noticed my CV boots were all cracked and ripped to hell so I take my good 'ole 'Vic into the shop and have them replace the boots and shafts. She runs like a dream.....for about 2 days. I leave my house tonight, get about a mile from home and come to a stop sign. I put her in first and let the clutch out. She takes off and then REVVVV!!! It was like the shafts pulled right out of the tranny. I'm taking her back tomorrow morning but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. First I thought it was my clutch but that would wear out gradually, not all of a sudden...right? Is it that easy to f**k up shafts?? I've never replaced one. Not even sure how the work/attach. These guys I took her to specialized in VW and Honda too...even more puzzling

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

Thanks again
Old 05-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got one for ya, boys

Sounds like a clutch to me. Once the shafts are installed they wouldn't really come out unless the entire hub moved, really. Unless of course the new shafts failed or broke, which is not likely. Did the car move at all after?

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-28-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

Under its own power, no. It rolled like it was in neutral even though it was in gear. I thought it was the clutch intitialy. Do clutches in Hondas just 'go out'? I figured it would wear down and start slippin' first for awhile then fail, not all of a sudden
Old 05-28-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

The shaft may not have been pushed all the way in, but you would know it when you put the hub went on the opposite end. Drain and fill your transmission fluid, a good amount of it comes out when you remove the drivers side shaft.
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

I went under there and the CV was pulled out quite a bit on the passnger's side. I called the place that did the work and they said the snap ring came loose. They picked her up and she's at the shop now.
Thanks everyone for the input though
Old 05-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's incredible that the they actually put the hub on with the axle not being in fully... props to them... hahaha. Take it back and scream. I don't think it's the rings fault but I don't know these things too well, those rings don't just come loose.
Old 05-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That happened on my 92 paseo once.. I flipped a bitch and the drive shafts popped out.. Somehow my dad blamed it on me
Old 05-28-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

I replaced my drive shafts/boots in December, you have to seat the snap ring on the head of the shaft (about the size of a quarter) and it then seats into the transmission- with a light click. Hopefully they replaced the bushing where the shaft enters the transmission too - that is about the size of a silver dollar.