6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Strange lamp next to dimmer switch '98 LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wesslvm is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange lamp next to dimmer switch '98 LX

I just purchased a '98 LX sedan with 5spd. On the dash, between the cruise button and the dash lights dimmer control I have a small red colored lamp that doesn't show up in the user's manual.

Do you guys think this is probably an add on from the precious owner? The bulb does not light. I noticed an after market horn in the engine bay which has been deactivated. Could be related?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange lamp next to dimmer switch '98 LX

prolly the LED indicator light for aftermarket alarm (it blinks when the alarm is set). owner may have removed the alarm before selling the car, but left the light there instead of having a hole. you can always reuse it if you buy a different alarm.
Old 12-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wesslvm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
prolly the LED indicator light for aftermarket alarm (it blinks when the alarm is set). owner may have removed the alarm before selling the car, but left the light there instead of having a hole. you can always reuse it if you buy a different alarm.
Good thought, I hadn't considered that. Maybe related to the "horn" under the hood also.

The car did not come with a remote. I have the factory radio, can I tell if that car had the remote option by looking at that radio?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think so. but i know the LX did not have keyless and the EX did. the keyless was built into the stereo for 96-98 civics. but anyway, if you have power door locks, then you can just get an aftermarket alarm and that will come with a remote that also works as a keyless system.