6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Ran out of gas, now car runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Ran out of gas, now car runs like crap

This morning I ran out of gas on my way to work. After work I put gas in it and started it up and noticed a strange idle then went to take off and it started bogging down, sputtering, backfireing and almost stalling. Stopped let it run a bit thinking it needed time to maybe build up fuel pressure or something. Drove off again same thing but kept it going until i got up in higher rpms and it started to drive normal but felt like it had lost alot of power. now every time i start off from a stop it bogs out until i get past like 2500 rpms then drive semi-better but still feels restricted. I put a bottle of sea foam through it and filled her up and no change. I'm thinking i sucked up gunk from the bottom of the tank and clogged something? any one have any ideas what could be wrong.
Old 11-08-2008
Registered!!

Re: Ran out of gas, now car runs like crap

Just got back from using the scanner at work, got the following codes. P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit High Voltage, P0135 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction, P1509 Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Circuit Failure. Now what do I do. Should I replace the Map and O2 Sensors? The IAC code has been on forever and I cant fix it and dont think its causing this problem
Old 11-08-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow thats alot of problems. iac valve is on the throttle body and can be removed for cleaning. o2 sensor is prolly good to change, esp if its been a while. might as well replace map sensor. and check your fuel pressure make sure its normal. when youre doing the iac, clean the whole throttle body too make sure you get all the carbon out.
Old 11-08-2008
Registered!!

Well looks like Im off to the parts store. I recently cleaned my IAC and it did nothing then i replace the TB and IACV and still did nothing. The code says IACV circuit failure could it be a short in the wires or maybe the ECU.
Old 11-08-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it could be the wiring. did you reset the ecu and do idle learn after cleaning everything?
Old 11-08-2008
Registered!!

Yep Did it again last night thought it would clear up any problems of running out of gas, but i was wrong. Is it possible a bad fuel filter could also be a problem. I'm going to pick one up today since I dont think its ever been done
Old 11-08-2008
Registered!!

Wow just got under my hood cause I found a map sensor on a spare IM and found the green wire on the plug was broken. Fixed it up now it runs 100% better just got a high idle of 1200 rpms now and still need O2 sensor and to fix the IAC problem. What could be the reason for high idle
Old 11-08-2008
Love me some nice, long-lasting vics!

jgcentury will become famous soon enoughjgcentury will become famous soon enough

Not that it is your idle problem, but just a suggestion that I'm certain is a good idea. Change your fuel filter since you ran out of gas. More than likely any sediment/rust deposits in the bottom of your tank were sucked through the system when you ran out of gas. Recommended Lucas fuel treatment after filter change with the next fill up. Cost for filter about $12, cost of lucas fuel add. about $3 give or take depending on your local auto store. Again, this is not a must, but I know it is wise.
Old 11-08-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgcentury
Not that it is your idle problem, but just a suggestion that I'm certain is a good idea. Change your fuel filter since you ran out of gas. More than likely any sediment/rust deposits in the bottom of your tank were sucked through the system when you ran out of gas. Recommended Lucas fuel treatment after filter change with the next fill up. Cost for filter about $12, cost of lucas fuel add. about $3 give or take depending on your local auto store. Again, this is not a must, but I know it is wise.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the fuel filter should be sitting at the back of your engine bay, and they are an easy fix. A friend of mine had a similar problem because he was running his tank on low all the time (he drove a 99' Acura 1.6EL). Get that fuel filter changed and you may notice the problem may go away.
Old 11-08-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Number 12 isnt it? ...rear drivers side, under car.
Old 11-08-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

If a 96 Civic is a 6th gen, then it would be in the engine bay.
Old 11-09-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by Albertross
If a 96 Civic is a 6th gen, then it would be in the engine bay.
Oh ****, my bad.
Old 11-09-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Albertross
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the fuel filter should be sitting at the back of your engine bay,
Yup, it's next to the battery on the top part of the firewall.
Old 11-09-2008
Premium Member

In our 7th gen civics tho, its number 12 right, and not in the engine bay?
Old 11-09-2008

Originally Posted by TRIZ
In our 7th gen civics tho, its number 12 right, and not in the engine bay?
I'm pretty sure that's the EVAP canister filter.
Old 11-09-2008
Registered!!

Yea I gotta get parts for my winter tune-up/ plugs, wires, lucas fuel add, fuel, oil and air filters, 6 quarts of oil for oil change and tranny, two bottle of lucas oil stabilizer, coolant and rad flush, seafoam, and an O2 sensor(just threw a code today)
Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Damm! One thing I learned from this thread is...never run out of gas!