6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Disappearing oil and coolant 96' civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imglowin is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Disappearing oil and coolant 96' civic LX

Hi, I have been looking at this forum for quite some time but have never needed to post thanks to all of the previous responses to other threads. I like doing repairs on my own car but I am still learning quite a bit so any help would be greatly appreciated.

coolant; I have to top off or refill the radiator it seems every 3-4 days because I will notice the temperature gauge going up past it normal range. I have replaced the thermostat thinking that it was the problem but to no avail I'm still having issues. I am not seeing any leaking indications on the ground or within the engine after driving or even from it just sitting at night.

oil; similar to the coolant, I have to refill that about every 1-2 weeks. There are no spotting or leak indications on the ground after driving or from just sitting. I have made sure the oil filter is on tight(of course not cranked on) and that the drain bolt is on securely.

I'm really stumped so if anyone could help. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

screwface is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Disappearing oil and coolant 96' civic LX

your engine could be burning away both if your head gasket is farked. if you like doing your own work, you're gonna love replacing that
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

Ok, that's possible. My engine overheated last summer and I had to have the radiator, radiator hoses, t stat replaced. How can I check the "farkness"?
Old 10-04-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you gotta take the head off, then take it to machine shop to get it checked for warpage, compression tested, etc. then replace the gasket when you put it back together
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

how easy/difficult would it be to take the head off? and are there any online step by step directions that anybody knows of of how to do it?
Old 10-04-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you need the honda service manual, and its not an amateur job. two guys who did it before took all day to take mine off and there were problems along the way too. if you dont know anything about it, including what all parts and fluids and torque specs and what to check when its off, i wouldnt do it yourself. there is alot to mess up and lots of places to get stuck and possibly ruin something further.
Old 10-04-2008
Registered!!

screwface is an unknown quantity at this point

need a helm's manual for sure. also need to buy head gasket, ARP headstuds (cheaper than OEM iirc; and reusable too unlike OEM) and a crank pulley holder tool (50mm hex iirc.) if you're doing so much then yeah may as well have the head resurfaced for additional 100 bux or so.

i've seen some pictorials online but i don't have the links. the hardest part will be busting the crank pulley loose. i'm thinking if you jack your car up, a pneumatic impact wrench will be the only way to go because unless you're the incredible hulk a suitable breaker bar on any ratchet will flex more than the distance that any floor jack can raise the car to.

probably best off taking it to a shop...
Old 10-07-2008
Registered!!

thanks everybody for your input. I don't think am ready to dive this far into it nor do I have the time it sounds like it would require, so I am gonna let a car shop do the damage.