6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

catalytic converter missing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hongkonghippos is an unknown quantity at this point
catalytic converter missing?

I drive a 2000 Civic HX with a b16a2 swap and injen short ram intake, as well as a generic loud *** exhaust. It's super loudness causes me a lot of trouble with LEO's.

I got a ticket for an "illegal" intake, which means I have to go to the CA state ref and have my car tested and signed off. The problem is, last time I went to the shop to get an exhaust leak fixed, the mechanic told me my car doesn't have a catalytic converter or the O2 sensor that's supposed to be down there.

I just bought my car a few months ago and it's my first, and I have no idea where the Cat and O2 senor are supposed to be, or even what they look like. Anyways I'm inclined to believe the mechanic for now, but I recall him saying it would cost $200+ to have a new cat installed (and that's not including the missing O2 sensor)

I don't know what to do about this whole situation. I was considering paying the $386.00 "bail forfeiture" to avoid going to the state ref. Is that how it works? If I pay the forfeiture fee, does that mean I don't need to have my car tested?

I'm pretty paranoid of having my car poked and prodded by the Ref, because it's a swap, and apparently missing some parts. I have no idea what else it might be missing, and I really don't want them to find out and give me more trouble. What do you guys think? New Cat (and whatever else it might take), or pay The Man, and go about my way?

*I should also point out that I broke my leg recently and had to stop working, so money is a factor.