7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice on coilovers and rear disc breaking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airos23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on coilovers and rear disc breaking.

Hey guys I'm new to cars and I really want to upgrade my 05 civic's suspension to coilovers but idk what I should be looking for as far as brand and compatibility. I also want to add rear disc breaking but haven't found any good instruction. I'm not looking for top of the line parts but at least decent ones that are reliable. If anyone can help me out that'd be sweet. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on coilovers and rear disc breaking.

Coilovers: Tein are fairly inexpensive but great quality. I rocked a pair of Tein coilovers on my 2002 civic from late 04/early 05 until I pronounced that car dead late last year.

Disc brakes conversion DIY guide: Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT
Back in 2005, this conversion cost me $500 and took me 4 hours to do. Was $400 for the EP3 rear knuckle assemblies, $100 for the RSX e-brake cables.
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

Whats the difference between em2 and ep3? Is it quality or fit? Does it matter which one I use?
Old 04-04-2018
Registered!!

For the rear knuckle assembly did you get them new?
Old 04-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

em2 is just a civic coupe... it will have the standard drums.
ep3 is the sir hatchback
Old 04-04-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Like colin said, EM2 is the chassis code for an 01-05 civic coupe and came with rear drum brakes. EP3 is the chassis code for any 02-05 civic hatchback (US Si/Canadian SiR) and they came with rear disc brakes.

If you don't want to buy another set of rims, make sure the knuckle assemblies you get are from an 02-03 Si. For those years, Honda stuck with the 4x100 bolt pattern, and in 2004, they changed to a 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

As far as what I got, I got them used. It would've been well over a grand to buy everything I needed new back then.

If you're in Canada, Acura 1.7EL rear knuckle assemblies will also work since they're civic sedans with a facelift, different tail lights, and rear disc brakes. Maybe some more "luxury" features, but those of which I am uninformed upon, but those three are the big differences. If you can get ahold of the 1.7EL e-brake cables, they'll fit so much better than RSX ones. When I did the swap, I had to loosen up the brackets on the e-brake cables and take up pretty much all slack in those lines in order to get them to fit. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that, despite what the DIY guide says, the EP3 e-brake cables are even shorter and you'll have a harder time fitting them. However, there have been people that had great success using EP3 e-brake cables (see post #15 in the DIY guide)

Also, the rear knuckle assemblies I bought came with severed VSS wires. I took a chance and slapped my EM2 ones on those knuckle assemblies and they worked just fine.
Old 04-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

breaking is easy, braking takes more effort :P
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

Super noob lol what are VSS wires? Frankly, I didn't understand that last little paragraph
Old 04-06-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

VSS=Vehicle speed sensor
Also known as WSS: Wheel speed sensor
Old 04-06-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Airos23
Super noob lol what are VSS wires? Frankly, I didn't understand that last little paragraph
Lol, my bad. I usually explain everything like the person receiving my explanation knows nothing about the subject matter at hand (I seriously do it with everything). I got lazy. haha

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
VSS=Vehicle speed sensor
Also known as WSS: Wheel speed sensor
Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Lol it's alright. Thanks for the guide too. **** I'm gonna have to save up a bit then. Whats your car look like rice?
Old 04-08-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, I declared my 2002 Civic dead back in October. Head gasket failure, spend $400 to repair it in my driveway, and when I went to put it all back together, the head studs stripped out the block. Tried to fix that, and the fix failed on round 2 of head stud torque (36ft-lbs).

But, to answer your question, this is what my car looks like now:

and an artsy *** night shot after I installed yellow fog light bulbs and HIDs
Name:  uGoKn2v.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  353.4 KB

She's a 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback with the 1.5L turbo engine. Thing's a freakin blast to drive.

If you wanna see what my 2002 looked like, click the "Azumi" link in my signature. That thread was from a while back, but for the most part, she looked like that (albeit a bit beat up) at the end. With new headlights, too (see the "her baby blues" link in my sig)