Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

erratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
john donovan is an unknown quantity at this point
erratic idle

new head gasket head checked and planed new timing belt tensioner water pump and coolant temp sensor new antifreeze raised front end to get air out car starts and runs smooth till it warms up then it has an erratic idle up and down on its own I also tried the relearn with no results hopefully someone has some advice
Old 12-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: erratic idle

Reach into the throttle body and plug the open port with your fingertip. Does that bring the idle down to normal RPM or below?

If so, IAC is probably stuck open.
If not, then look for vacuum leaks.
Old 12-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

First thought is a air leak.

You pulled apart lots of joints and pulled off lots vacuum hoses.
Old 12-23-2017
Registered!!

checked all lines for vacuum leaks I will try your advice tomorrow ezone thanks for the help all and Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by john donovan
checked all lines for vacuum leaks I will try your advice tomorrow ezone thanks for the help all and Merry Christmas
Which method(s) did you use to check for vacuum leaks?
Old 12-27-2017
Registered!!

anthonyelectric is an unknown quantity at this point

Any update? I have a wild idle that only happens once in a while!
Old 12-27-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anthonyelectric
Any update? I have a wild idle that only happens once in a while!
Please start a new thread which describes your car's specific issue. Aslo include year/model/mileage/transmission type. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2018
Registered!!

sorry for delay but I work away from home for weeks at a time anyway I changed throttle body and sprayed everything with throttle body cleaner all injectors drop when unplugged same with coil packs did a smoke test still nothing friend of mine works for Honda says it may need a scan toll to adjust it but it still idles at 1000 to 3000 steadily up and down stays around 900 when you put it in gear with torque on it when he puts his scan tool on it I will update
Old 01-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Used throttle body might have a stuck IAC, just like your original might have a stuck IAC.
Old 04-07-2019
Lstafford

2005ex is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for this post. I didn't mean to post on this thread but dont know how to delete it lol. Well guys, any more suggestions before I go crazy lol. I've replaced the air fuel ratio sensor with the OEM Denso. I've replaced the map sensor. Fixed a small exhaust leak right off the header. The only code it is showing now is for the catylic converter which makes sense because it doesn't have one but my problem has not gotten any better. I cant hear any vacuum leaks either. It still surges up and down a couple of times then levels out at idle. When i press the accelerator it surges a couple more times and idles correctly. Also when driving, when i press the clutch the rpms increase instead of falling out. I dont know what else to do next

Last edited by 2005ex; 04-07-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Maybe a failing TPS sensor? Do you have a live data reader that can show you details such as throttle position and what the computer is being told for coolant temperature?
Old 04-08-2019
Lstafford

2005ex is an unknown quantity at this point

Not saying you are wrong but I just replaced that and calibrated it. I sure don't not have a live scanner either