7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new spare key made wont start car

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dweesb is an unknown quantity at this point
new spare key made wont start car

I had a new key made for a switch blade key fob for an '01. It fits the ign. switch, turns and cranks the car but the engine won't fire. It will not open either door or trunk. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: new spare key made wont start car

Ignition keys have a chip that need to be programmed for the engine.
Dealerships don't program aftermarket keys.
140$ for an ignition key.

But wait, a new ignition with key programmed costs 260$ from online parts warehouses.
Is it worth to get a ignition key or new ignition?

Keys for doors don't require the chips.

There is a bypass where you remove this security feature of the car but that means your car will be much easier to steal!
Meaning you only need the key with no chip needed what so ever.

Last edited by AlexFromCali; 06-14-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AlexFromCali
Ignition keys have a chip that need to be programmed for the engine.
Dealerships don't program aftermarket keys.
140$ for an ignition key.

But wait, a new ignition with key programmed costs 260$ from online parts warehouses.
Is it worth to get a ignition key or new ignition?

Keys for doors don't require the chips.

There is a bypass where you remove this security feature of the car but that means your car will be much easier to steal!
Meaning you only need the key with no chip needed what so ever.
Is the chip under the plastic
"handle"?
Old 06-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

RFID (transponder) chip is embedded in the plastic head of the key.

Gotta get the key (chip) programmed to the immobilizer and PCM before they can allow that key to run the engine.
If you got a switchblade, you might need the chip from a working key transplanted into the housing of the switchblade, as the chip that came in the housing may not be compatible?

Did you have a single key that worked in all the locks.....ignition, doors and trunk, etc.?
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
RFID (transponder) chip is embedded in the plastic head of the key.

Gotta get the key (chip) programmed to the immobilizer and PCM before they can allow that key to run the engine.
If you got a switchblade, you might need the chip from a working key transplanted into the housing of the switchblade, as the chip that came in the housing may not be compatible?

Did you have a single key that worked in all the locks.....ignition, doors and trunk, etc.?
Yes, 2 original keys came with the car but no remotes. I ordered the Honda compatible 3 button remote from amazon. Programmed the remote myself, and then ordered the switchblade housing that was compatible with the 3 button remote. Switched the guts to the new housing, which came with the correct blade for that year. Had the key cut today and here I am.
I was under the impression that those years didn't have the chip in the keys.
Old 06-14-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 2 original keys came with the car but no remotes.
Yeah but did any ONE key turn all the locks in the car?

A fresh cut key may not easily work locks with worn tumblers. The freshly cut sharp edges could hang up or maybe the lock tumblers have so much wear they need correspondingly worn keys to work them.

If the locks have never worked for you, maybe they are just stuck from lack of use. Try shooting some penetrating oil into the lock cylinders?

I was under the impression that those years didn't have the chip in the keys.
01 was the first year for Civic to have Immobilizer in the US.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Yeah but did any ONE key turn all the locks in the car?

A fresh cut key may not easily work locks with worn tumblers. The freshly cut sharp edges could hang up or maybe the lock tumblers have so much wear they need correspondingly worn keys to work them.

If the locks have never worked for you, maybe they are just stuck from lack of use. Try shooting some penetrating oil into the lock cylinders?

01 was the first year for Civic to have Immobilizer in the US.
Both keys I have are masters and they work all locks. I was thinking maybe they new key was "too square", but if the originals have chips on them that has to be what's going on. Besides, I can't imagine any reason other than electrical that the car would crank but not start.
Old 06-15-2016

Both keys I have are masters and they work all locks.
Ok and your new key won't turn the doors or trunk.. Was the new key cut by code or was it duplicated off of an original key? I'm guessing it was cut by code.

I can't imagine any reason other than electrical that the car would crank but not start.
That's the immobilizer action. While you are cranking it with the unprogrammed key, the green key symbol on the dash should be flashing angrily because it's in anti-theft mode.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Ok and your new key won't turn the doors or trunk.. Was the new key cut by code or was it duplicated off of an original key? I'm guessing it was cut by code.

That's the immobilizer action. While you are cranking it with the unprogrammed key, the green key symbol on the dash should be flashing angrily because it's in anti-theft mode.
Key was cut by tracing, no code.
Old 06-15-2016

Take it back to the one who cut the key and have them see why it doesn't work?

Use a wire brush to soften the sharp edges a little?
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Take it back to the one who cut the key and have them see why it doesn't work?

Use a wire brush to soften the sharp edges a little?
But if it doesn't have a chip it's not going to start the car. No point.
Old 06-15-2016

There's ways around that though.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

There's ways around that though.
Inexpensive ways? I keep seeing upwards of $500.
Old 06-15-2016

Does the switchblade body have a chip already installed in it?
Can that be programmed to your car?

The car uses a Type 3 Immobilizer system, which Immobilizer type was the switchblade key made for? Or what car did it fit? (I don't have access to Acuras information)

Options I can think of, but I can't tell you what's immediately available to you:

I could obtain a key with a chip, cut out the chip and transfer it to the switchblade body, then program it to the car. This might be tedious as you'd have to grind away the plastic head to find and remove the chip without damaging it.

I could locate a dealer or locksmith that has the Ilco Key duplicating equipment (for T-5 transponder keys), "clone" the chip of a working key, then cut out the chip and transfer it.

I could search the internet for someone selling the needed chip by itself, then install that into the switchblade body then program it to the car.
Or search for just the cloneable chip for the T-5 key mentioned above, have a dealer clone it off a good key and install it.

For programming keys to the car, I'd expect anywhere from 50-120 at a dealer. It varies. Call and ask.

Cost to clone a T-5 chip key off a working key should be considerably cheaper than cutting and programming new keys to the car.

Check with local locksmith shops, see if they can program Hondas immobilizer keys.

Maybe they can get the needed chip by itself and program it.

Walmart and some other box stores might be able to clone the chip keys too, so ask around.

If you can clone a chip key for just a few bucks then it may be worth seeing if you can extract the chip out of it without damage.

You could stuff a working chip key in the steering column covers by the immobi receiver, so the immobilizer system always reads a valid key chip no matter what you stick in the ignition. Theft risk goes up though.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Does the switchblade body have a chip already installed in it?
Can that be programmed to your car?

The car uses a Type 3 Immobilizer system, which Immobilizer type was the switchblade key made for? Or what car did it fit? (I don't have access to Acuras information)

Options I can think of, but I can't tell you what's immediately available to you:

I could obtain a key with a chip, cut out the chip and transfer it to the switchblade body, then program it to the car. This might be tedious as you'd have to grind away the plastic head to find and remove the chip without damaging it.

I could locate a dealer or locksmith that has the Ilco Key duplicating equipment (for T-5 transponder keys), "clone" the chip of a working key, then cut out the chip and transfer it.

I could search the internet for someone selling the needed chip by itself, then install that into the switchblade body then program it to the car.
Or search for just the cloneable chip for the T-5 key mentioned above, have a dealer clone it off a good key and install it.

For programming keys to the car, I'd expect anywhere from 50-120 at a dealer. It varies. Call and ask.

Cost to clone a T-5 chip key off a working key should be considerably cheaper than cutting and programming new keys to the car.

Check with local locksmith shops, see if they can program Hondas immobilizer keys.

Maybe they can get the needed chip by itself and program it.

Walmart and some other box stores might be able to clone the chip keys too, so ask around.

If you can clone a chip key for just a few bucks then it may be worth seeing if you can extract the chip out of it without damage.

You could stuff a working chip key in the steering column covers by the immobi receiver, so the immobilizer system always reads a valid key chip no matter what you stick in the ignition. Theft risk goes up though.
The switchblade I bought was just a shell. I switched the current board from a standard 3 button remote. It took a lot of cutting and grinding for something that was supposed to be, open it and pop it in.

So the chip is a rf signal of some sort? I tried holding the original key next to the switchblade while trying to start it... didn't work.

I had called the dealer and they quoted $115 for just the fob. I never did ask about a key.

I'm starting to think I should have just stuck with the remote for $18 and called it a day. The switchblade was just me trying to be cheeky.
Old 06-15-2016

So the chip is a rf signal of some sort?
RFID or Transponder.
The antenna (ring) on the control unit inside the steering column excites the chip inside the head of the stock key and that causes it to send a signal.

Key head needs to be near the middle of the antenna ring to work.

I had called the dealer and they quoted $115 for just the fob. I never did ask about a key.
The fob for the stock keyless entry? Seems high.

I know I've seen a how-to for making a switchblade key work, maybe it wasn't on this forum though. I don't remember. Google?
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

RFID or Transponder.
The antenna (ring) on the control unit inside the steering column excites the chip inside the head of the stock key and that causes it to send a signal.

Key head needs to be near the middle of the antenna ring to work.

The fob for the stock keyless entry? Seems high.

I know I've seen a how-to for making a switchblade key work, maybe it wasn't on this forum though. I don't remember. Google?
High indeed. And they wanted note money to program it. That's why I ordered the one off Amazon.
I'll have to check again. I only remember seeing how to swap out the key blade.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dweesb
High indeed. And they wanted note money to program it. That's why I ordered the one off Amazon.
I'll have to check again. I only remember seeing how to swap out the key blade.
Honda dealers won't program or cut aftermarket keys. Just beware.
You'll only find a private car shop, if any.
Old 06-15-2016

Originally Posted by AlexFromCali
Honda dealers won't program or cut aftermarket keys. Just beware.
You'll only find a private car shop, if any.

I've done it for some people who bring in their own keys.....but if it doesn't work out as planned, they still have to pay the usual fee.