7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken transmission pan bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken transmission pan bolt

I had some transmission fluid residue building up around the transmission pan bolts so I thought about giving them a firm tightening and one of the bolts broke with half of it remained inside. The doesn't seem to be any leak but is this gonna create a problem down the road ? Any suggestion on how to remove the other half of the bolt out ?
Old 02-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken transmission pan bolt

Please post a picture of your transmission pan, then another picture of the bolt(s) in question, and another pic showing the relative area the problem is in.
Old 02-01-2014
Registered!!

here are couple of pics showing the broken bolt and where it came from. it is the bolt at the bottom of the transmission, the first one to the front. it's a corner bolt so it must be important. any suggestions ? I was thinking to put some high temp RTV silicon to seal the hole. The transmission fluid has 25k miles on it, does this get thinner with usage like engine oil ?, was thinking maybe i'll put in some new fluid in the transmission as well higher viscosity then Honda MTF 75w, maybe redline MTL 80W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	86354   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	86355  
Old 02-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably try a left-hand drill bit first, if there is sufficient room. If you are really lucky, the left handed bit would catch the bolt at some point and spin it right out.

Otherwise, I'd think the next choice to remove would be to drop the trans and split the case so it can be drilled out properly.

The hole itself really shouldn't be able to leak (the bolt is isolated away from the internally lubed parts), but the case mating seam it's clamping could leak. Or it could be leaking elsewhere and you just found the end result dripping there?

The trans oil only gets 'thinner' with temperature changes AFAIK, it doesn't get diluted with fuel and combustion byproducts the way engine oil can. It should be relatively stable (viscosity) throughout its expected lifespan.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be more concerned with the cracks in the casing
Old 02-02-2014

I thought those were casting lines......
If they really are cracks, that might be indicating a much bigger problem.
Old 02-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thems aint casting lines.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Yes those are cracks but they just external not reaching inside the case to cause a leak and they been there for long time, maybe I should seal them with some jbweld or some sealer
The leak source looks like is coming from under the starter or under that part sitting next to it, I can't see clearly what's under there unless I remove the starter which I will do next, is there any transmission seal in that area ?
Old 02-02-2014

Does the trans actually lose fluid?

There's a whole lot more engine oil leak possibilities up there than trans leak possibilities.
Old 02-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had this happen before and it does cause leak. Fix it properly by using ezones method. If not maybe you can remove the transmission and replace the casing or at least find out what caused it.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I would be more concerned with the cracks in the casing
What he said...