7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I had an accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikon123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an accident

Hi. Everyone:
I need your help here. Two weeks ago I had an accident. According to the insurance my 02 civic lx is totled. The accident happened around 8:00 pm in Austin, TX. I was turning right into a treet. it was 30 feet from traffic light. The light were in red. The left two lanes were for left turns, the right two lanes were for going straight ahead. I was turining from a shopping center exit. The exit is in the right of the four lane street. I was turning from exit, crossing two right lane onto the third right lane, which is the 2nd lane from left, trying to turn onto the lane and later turn left. Suddenly I was hit from back by a Mazda SUV. At the time of the hitting, I was half in the 2nd left lane and half in the 2nd right lane. Later the police came. Police heard the story of the lady hit me first, which she said that I was in the middle of the road. I told the police that I was changing the lane while I was hit. Unfortunately police believed the lady and he gave me a traffic ticket, citing me block the traffic. Oh one thing is that at the time of the accident, the traffic light was in red and every one in front of the light stopped. I had only 5-10 feet free road to turn my car. I intend to fight the ticket in the court. Anyone there has any idea that what my chance to win the case? My disadvantage is that the police will support the lady who hit me in the back.

Also, anyone know how much the car worth right now? It is a 02 civic, lx, 102k, 5 spd. Anyone know if there are junkyard in Austin area who is willing to take my car?

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02908.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	84491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02909.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	84492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02911.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	84493  
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
Re: I had an accident

Real sorry to hear about your accident. I hope everyone involved is ok. Your car is totaled and most likely a junk yard will only give you scrap value (around $300-500).

I had a very difficult time understanding how the accident happened. Do us a favor and draw a diagram with all the lanes and a dotted line showing your movement. Take a picture with your cell phone and post it up on here.
Old 12-30-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also, the why's on why the officer believe her instead? there's always something more that made him think that
Old 12-30-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Don't think you'll get very much for it. Prob in the range of what was mentioned above. If you have patients you can prob get more for the engine and internal stuff if you part out. Actually I'm looking for a center dash. Wanna sell it?
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Gaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thats really mangled. The mazda must've been going pretty fast, and considering you said you were only about 5-10 feet from traffic stopped at a red light, I cant help but feel she should have already started slowing down, even if you werent in her way. (unless I'm misunderstanding exactly how it went down)

Hope everything works out for you... and sorry about your luck.

Pro Tip: Don't forget to wear a neck brace when you go to court. :-P
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you were drunk or something there's no reason why they would support her, go to court.

99% of the time if a car is hit from behind, the car that does the rear-ending is at fault.
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

sounds like op tried cutting across lanes and got hit which would be entirely his fault. probably didn't even check his mirror and probably didn't use the blinker.you can't just pull out in front of people because most of the time people are distracted especially when coming to a red light you don't expect someone to pull in your lane.
Old 12-30-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^^

LOL, if I read that right he floated across 4 lanes of traffic and tried to squeeze in 10 feet in front of a car stopped at a traffic light,LOL.

If you look at the damage it looks more like he slammed into her front quarter panel as he dropped into her lane.

The way I learned it a rear end accident is ALWAYS the rear enders fault. Care and control.

If they can't produce a witness to your actions then you might beat the ticket.
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

The least I would do is pull the engine with catalytic converter, tranny, seats, airbags and steering wheel, HVAC unit with controls and front head lamp assemblies. Should be able to get at least $1500 if you are patient and sell it on Ebay. Scrap the shell for a couple more hundred. Pull all the 5spd stuff at least and see if you can sell it on here to someone trying to do a manual conversion.
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

stuff like this is the reason im installing a dash cam. op said that he admitted to the cop he was trying to cut into her lane thats why the ticket was given because he admitted fault. you should have kept your mouth shut.
Old 12-31-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lowlife9
op said that he admitted to the cop he was trying to cut into her lane thats why the ticket was given because he admitted fault. you should have kept your mouth shut.
Ahhhh, OK.
I did not read all since it was too long and confusing.
don't see much chances in there...

Originally Posted by Nikon123
I was turning from exit, crossing two right lane onto the third right lane, which is the 2nd lane from left, trying to turn onto the lane and later turn left. Suddenly I was hit from back by a Mazda SUV. At the time of the hitting, I was half in the 2nd left lane and half in the 2nd right lane. Later the police came. Police heard the story of the lady hit me first, which she said that I was in the middle of the road. I told the police that I was changing the lane while I was hit.
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

Hi Everyone:

I was changing the line. there was not enough space so my car was half in the lane. It was before the traffic light and the light was red. At the time of the accident, I stopped. the cars in front of, and behind of me were stopped too. But the right two lanes had some space left. The Mazda lady was in the 2nd go straight lane from right and hit me. I was partially in her lane.

My argument is that even though I was partially blocked her lane, but it was very near the traffic light and the light was red. every car in the sight stopped at the time.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	84499  
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

To: sl33pyriceboi

I am willing to sell any parts of the car. But I am not sure how to get the front dash out?

Also, anyone is in Austin area want the car. I am willing to sell it $400. The car is still drivable, but I am not sure if police will stop it. The safe way is to rent a truck to transport it. I already took off the insurance.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 12-31-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with James (sl33py). Parting her out would probably be your best course of action, as far as the car is concerned.
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

towguy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with stock 99 it is almost always the rear enders fault

Last edited by towguy87; 12-31-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's definetly her fault since she hit you from behind and her insurance should pay you; for a car to be totalled like that it seems that when she saw you changing the lane in front of her she forgot that the light is red and stepped on the gas instead of the brake; there's at least 70% fault on her; that cop seems crappy as well and standing by her just because she's a woman; the court should dismiss the ticket and the insurance should pay you
As far as the car goes, there are many junkyards east side of Austin the will probably pay you around 500 bucks for the car, they payed me 400 bucks for a 94 toyota corolla 5 years ago ; good thing is that the car was hit from behind so the engine and transmission should not be affected by the hit; if you can pull them out and sell them yourself, u can at least get a thousand depending on the mileage and condition
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

im on the fence about who is at fault as far as the law is concerned maybe your both at fault ???. but i have a feeling its going to go against you in court.
Old 12-31-2012

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry about that first comment. It was hard to understand your first post. The diagram helps a lot.

If your were at a complete stop when she hit you where I live it's her fault no if ands or buts.

Also where I live the government insurance agency would rule that 50/50 so you both pay and pay and pay.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vexorg
Unless you were drunk or something there's no reason why they would support her, go to court.

99% of the time if a car is hit from behind, the car that does the rear-ending is at fault.
Same thoughts here. Damage does look like sideways, can't see hers though. Was it sideways damage too? Did you both try to merge in the same lane from opposite sides? Sorry to say your car isn't worth much. If it was closer I'd over twice scrap though As far as court, anyone's guess. The car fixed really isn't worth it if you ask me. Not much lawyers payment would cost as much as the car is worth. You may try the medical road, but rest assured that's a long road too. Her insurances lawyers don't want to pay for medical care....
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

Hi. Everyone:

Thanks for the comments. The damage of the Mazda hit me was in her left front, her airbag exploded. There was no personal damage. Please advise if I have a chance to win the ticket in court? The policeman believed her story: I blocked her drive way and gave me a ticket. Withour the wining of the ticket, there is little chance that her insurance would pay my civic value. At the time of the accident, my car stopped, and everyone infront of and behind of me stopped too. There was the red light. If I do fight in the court, do I have more chance by requesting a jury trial, or a judge trial?

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 01-06-2013
Registered!!

Slowfosho is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a hard one. I think it was the other drivers fault. You see this everyday, a car partially blocking a lane because the cars in front are stopped. The cars in the blocked lane usually just wait patiently until their lane is clear, or just change lanes. I wonder why she wasn't able to see you, or maybe she purposely hit you? Did she seem intoxicated?
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

Are you sure you are not hurt? How is your back and neck? I would advise you to lawyer up and go to court. A lot of lawyers have free consultations where they will at least hear you out to see if they can make a case out of it. I really think you have a chance of winning.
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

This is why I have a front and rear dash cam via cheap battery powered pocket camcorders with DIY mounting. Video footage I'm sure is very powerful in court. I've never had to use it yet.
Glad no one got seriously hurt.
Old 01-07-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Honestly you could prolly repair that....