7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fun story, got the wrong part, broke down...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grandnexus is an unknown quantity at this point
Fun story, got the wrong part, broke down...

I have a Honda Civic 2001 LX, coupe automatic with about 82k miles on it. I was overdue for a timing belt and water pump replacement, so I thought I should get my *** on it.

I went to hondapartsnow.com and bought all the necessary parts I needed. The part for the timing belt that I ordered was 14400-PMM-A02. So anyway, I took it to a mechanic, he took all my parts, did the work, cost $310 for labor, done (all the parts I bought were a total of $125 after shipping).

Anyway, so I'm driving to another city which is about 250 miles away, half way there, I'm doing 60-70 MPH on a major highway when all of a sudden I hear a noise and notice my accelerator doesn't work anymore. I panic and pull over to the side of the road. Turn off my car. Wait, try to turn it back on, doesn't turn on.

Awesome. Get my car towed to a Pepboys (ugh). I call a friend who comes gets me (100 miles away) and leave my car there. Finally they determine that the wrong belt was installed in my car. The part they found in my car is a 14400-P2F-A01. WTF? Anyway, I go back down and pick up my car.

I checked my invoice on the parts I ordered, I definitely ordered 14400-PMM-A02. I went back to the repair shop and they said they installed the parts I gave them, and that they have no other spare timing belts around so they couldn't have accidentally installed another part. The guy said I should take it up with the supplier (which I'm currently doing), though he said if they don't help me he is willing to refund half of the labor.

So what do you guys think? Who is to blame? The supplier for sending the wrong part? The mechanic who didn't notice the wrong part as he installed it (they said the belt was slightly wider and that is what caused it to skip a tooth)? Or myself for not checking to make sure they sent the right part (I checked the invoice, so I figured they shipped the correct part).

Also, how can I be compensated? I personally want the supplier to pay for the repair job and a refund on the parts since that is what caused this entire ****ing mess.

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Fun story, got the wrong part, broke down...

That sucks!! To me it's ultimately the suppliers fault but I do think the mechanic should have questioned the belt being a different width since he is the professional and should think "maybe something is not right." If the supplier hadn't sent the wrong part then none of this would have happened. Now I am sure you will double check future parts that you order online!
Old 06-14-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most shops are not responsible if you bring your own parts and have them install it. they should even have you sign something just in case. so yeah supplier is at fault on this one, altho i could say you were also at fault for not comparing part numbers when you received the order. i would never blindly order parts and then not even look at them to make sure they sent the right stuff. people make mistakes all the time whether at the drive thru or the warehouse.
Old 06-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah that's why no shops around here let you supply your own parts. i believe that your at fault for not double checking the part.
Old 06-14-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i could say you were also at fault for not comparing part numbers when you received the order.
Not to bag on you or anything but I agree with gearbox.

I get really OCD when it comes to stuff like that. Especially something important like a timing belt. I always check my parts like ten times and compare old parts to new parts before installing anything.

I do some of the ordering for the company I work for and almost every order I make there are anywhere from 4 - 10 things that are not right when I receive it. Warehouse dicks just really don't seem to care if they get it right or not.

If you can prove you ordered the correct parts and they screwed it up you might have some chance of compensation. I wouldn't hold my breath though. There's a disclaimer on all the orders I make that states 'you must claim shipping errors within 24 hours of delivery' or it's your dime.

BTW - that's a pretty decent mechanic to offer you some compensation for something that really isn't his problem.

Last edited by Stock 99; 06-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grandnexus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i believe that your at fault for not double checking the part.
I'm pretty new to cars, so when I got the part it looked like a timing belt. Remember, I'm not a hobbyist mechanic or OCD about cars, I'm just a normal guy who can do simple stuff like replace brakes, tires, do coolant flushes and change oil filters. I didn't bother to open the packaging up and check to make sure every part was exactly the right one. I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to assume that people ship you the right parts. I've bought crap online for 12 years, I have never been shipped the WRONG part (though I have been shipped defective parts). Yes, in hindsight I probably should (and will from now on) check the part, but that doesn't absolve the supplier of his responsibility. I was on a major highway, what if I needed to accelerate at a key moment and couldn't causing an accident? Someone could have been killed.

Anyway, update. I called the supplier, they are only willing to refund that specific part ($20 total) and that's it. At the moment I'm just going to call the credit card company and dispute the entire invoice amount ($125). I suppose I could try to take them to small claims court but it may be more trouble than it is worth.

The mechanic that did the work gave me a refund for $200 of the labor, so he was pretty nice about and took care of me. I'd still recommend him simply because of his customer service.

In case you guys were wondering, the place I bought it from was http://www.hondapartsnow.com/. I highly recommend NOT shopping there. It isn't even them making a mistake and shipping the wrong part that pisses me off, it's the fact that they won't take care of you as a customer and won't take any responsibility. Shop somewhere else.

Edit1: In case you were wondering, the invoice CLEARLY states I ordered 14400-PMM-A02. The guy I talked to clearly admitted that the wrong part was shipped, so yes they shipped the wrong part.

Edit2: Their argument for not being responsible was that I didn't inform them that it was the wrong part within 3 days. Honestly, I don't think that exempts them from responsibility.

Last edited by grandnexus; 06-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You have one hell of a mechanic and you should really and sincerely thank him.

If I were you I would return the belt get a full refund, and buy it else where and obviously dont do business with that place again.