7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winter Hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Winter Hibernation

Alright guys so i've looked at my financial situation and with school starting up for me again, and insurance being as high as it is for me right now i've decided to put my car away for the winter. There are too many things that i have to fix with my car and i won't be able to afford that unless i don't drive it for a bit.

I was thinking about selling my car but i couldn't. So my dad agreed to let me use a parking spot in the garage over the winter to keep my car in. I'm going to still try to be active on the forum, but if i'm not at least you'll know where i disappeared to until April

So my question is what needs to be done to stop my car from not starting when i turn it on for the first time after winter? What needs to be done before, during, and after the "hibernation" to keep my car from dying?
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Hibernation

if you dont care about tires, you can leave the car on the ground. otherwise it should be on jackstands unless you plan to buy new ones after winter. change the oil now and leave it in, use a gas stabilizer, and disconnect the battery. should be fine for 4-6 months in winter.
Old 09-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's a good idea to store the car with higher octane gas in addition to fuel stabilizer as well, I'm considering storing my car for the winter too
Old 09-13-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It's a good idea to store the car with higher octane gas in addition to fuel stabilizer as well, I'm considering storing my car for the winter too
y use higher octane gas? i am curious.

i know if u use a fuel stabilizer like seafoam, FP60, or lucas it works well.
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fp-plus will keep the gas fresh for a year at least
Old 09-13-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Talk with your insurance company to see if you can cancel for the winter. Some of them wont let you cancel unless you sell the car or it's totalled.. If its still owned by you and in your garage then they might now let you cancel for x amount of months. Look into it.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Okay i'll pick up some fuel stabilizer tomorrow. Do i just pick up a bottle or whatever of it and dump it in my gas tank??

I'll also call insurance. I don't think they'll have a problem ... Belairdirect is more aimed towards students, they should understand why i need to pause it :P
Old 09-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
y use higher octane gas? i am curious.

i know if u use a fuel stabilizer like seafoam, FP60, or lucas it works well.
I forget the reasoning, it's a tip I was given awhile back, I'll need to ask the guy who told me why next time I see him.
Old 09-13-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Maybe the higher Octane thing is aimed more towards us Canadian with colder winters? I don't know why that would be, just taking a guess?
Old 09-14-2011
Premium Member

i would dump any insurance company that wont suspend your coverage for the winter. people do that all the time with their expensive cars that obviously have no business in the snow and have summer tires (read $50k+ vehicles).