7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Life expectancy on OEM rear struts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Life expectancy on OEM rear struts?

HI, is anyone still on the OEM rear struts? I know someone who is selling a brand new set of Kayaba rear struts for $200, retails $300. Im still using the oEM struts at 88,000 miles. When should we replace the rear struts? Also is Kayaba good for struts?
Old 06-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Life expectancy on OEM rear struts?

the stock stuff wont last more than 50k miles. usually much less esp the rears.
Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Agreed.

Don't get Monroe either.

Also, don't carry a lot of weight in the trunk.
Old 06-10-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by gearbox
the stock stuff wont last more than 50k miles. usually much less esp the rears.
Serious? But isnt it the fronts that take something like 80% of the shocks? I have a friend who has 160miles and still on his OEM rears

So is Kayabas good? I have all this rattling from the back of my car so im guessing maybe replacing the struts will get rid of it.

Oh and crap i see i have to get a 4 wheel alignment if i change the struts out. I just got one done crap!
Old 06-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's all about driving style and conditions, they could last that long they just usually won't.

Order KYB GR-2 replacements for all four corners, it should come out to less than $300 online.
Old 06-10-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It's all about driving style and conditions, they could last that long they just usually won't.

Order KYB GR-2 replacements for all four corners, it should come out to less than $300 online.
I googled Kayaba made in japan struts and it looks like kayaba and KYB are the same make. My front are only 2 months old, theyre Zoro brand made in japan too.
Old 06-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

+2 on the 50k mile average.

Fronts carry more weight, but they're designed to do that and they only wear out faster because people abuse them.

you should have the same struts on all four corners and you should replace your shocks, the rattling is there because your way over the appropriate mileage for changing them, that's our advice but the final decision is all yours.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-10-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2011
I am Epic

I asked some other civic owners and from what ive been told our cars only have struts in the front, shocks are in the rear and theyre a lot easier and quicker to replace than struts they said and that i wont nessecarily need a 4 wheel alignment after.

+2 on the 50k mile average.

Fronts carry more weight, but they're designed to do that and they only wear out faster because people abuse them.

you should have the same struts on all four corners and you should replace your shocks, the rattling is there because your way over the appropriate mileage for changing them, that's our advice but the final decision is all yours.
How many struts and shocks are on my car? I thought struts and shocks are the same.
Old 06-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You have struts up front and shocks in the rear, the difference is between the two is negligable in this discussion.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2011
I am Epic

You have struts up front and shocks in the rear, the difference is between the two is negligable in this discussion.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting really confused because I thought it was 4 struts and 4 shocks on our cars. I picked up the shocks just now from the guy and it turns out to be KYB GR2s!!!! When I install these tommorow, you think the noise from the rear will forsure be gone? Its not the swaybar end links making the noise?
Old 06-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Sway bar endlinks and blown struts make a similar rattle, so its hard to say. Have you noticed a drop in ride height in the rear?

If it is the sway bar endlinks you can remove the sway bar until you get a set of replacement endlinks, you'll just have a little more body roll when turning.
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

When doing the struts make sure to inspect and replace any worn parts in the top mount assembly also.
Old 06-12-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by lazlong
When doing the struts make sure to inspect and replace any worn parts in the top mount assembly also.
Well what would be the parts exactly? like springs? My buddy is installing the rear shocks for me tommorow afternoon so if he has to replace anything else i want to have the new parts ready on hand.

Im guessing i should definitely replace the OEM springs huh?
Old 06-12-2011
I am Epic

Sway bar endlinks and blown struts make a similar rattle, so its hard to say. Have you noticed a drop in ride height in the rear?

If it is the sway bar endlinks you can remove the sway bar until you get a set of replacement endlinks, you'll just have a little more body roll when turning.
No drop in ride height, just bouncy when going over speed bumps and lots of rattle in the rear. Sounds like i have a bunch of empty beer bottles back there.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Well what would be the parts exactly?
This is for a 2003. If #'s 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16 are worn then replace them: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 06-12-2011
I am Epic

This is for a 2003. If #'s 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16 are worn then replace them: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Holy crap thats a lot. DIdnt think replacing shocks required this many parts. Honda isnt open tommorow so ill just hit up my parts source and see what they got.

Do most people generally replace the springs too while doing the shocks?
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Do most people generally replace the springs too while doing the shocks?
Only if they are bad.

Just replace the worn parts, not all of them.
Old 06-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

GOD... READ BEFORE POSTING is a good advice. As Lazlong said from start, replace if BAD, not replace them. Springs do normally last a loooong time, why you asking if need replace? any trouble with them?
searching does take you a long way.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

CivicRider is an unknown quantity at this point

My rear shocks on 2001 Lx were even still good last month when i replaced them. I replaced them as i had them from a year ago when i bought a set of four. My front ones failed at 125000. I replaced rear ones at 142000 . they were still not making an noise but i noticed an elevated height afterwards. As mentioned, it all depends on weight carried in rear and road conditions that put rear shocks to work.
Let us know, if replacement fixes that rattling.
Old 06-13-2011
I am Epic

So I got my KYB GR2s put in yesterday and the rattling is still there but its a different rattling now, more like a minor small pop sound here and there. Its sttill coming from the back right tire. Its on and off so not happening all the time. Mostly get it when turning left and some bumps. Checked the sway bar end links and they were fine, just the right 2 bolts were rusted but not worn out or anything. I know new shocks have to seat themselves first but how long does that take?

Do you think this could be the body panel making the noise? Because body panel rattling sound likes very close to it.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Have your buddy push down on that corner and listen for the pop. I bet one or more of the bushings is shot. Also check the swaybar bushings.
Old 06-13-2011
I am Epic

Have your buddy push down on that corner and listen for the pop. I bet one or more of the bushings is shot. Also check the swaybar bushings.
We checked the bushings and they were fine. No sounds at all when pressing down on that corner. Totally stumped.

Im really believing that it is my body panels because when i put my car in park into drive and so fourth i hear the exact same creaky sounds from the back. I get it too sometimes when i release my ebrake'