Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Windshield washer sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thewal will become famous soon enough
Windshield washer sensor

Good day all,

I know that not all 7th gen civic's have this specially in the US but i thought this would somewhat help. the Canadian version has a sensor inside the tank that tells the driver when the fluid level is low. A common problem with these sensors is they go bad and the reason why is because the float inside the sensor (see attached image) gets stuck on the bottom, this is caused by dirt and gunk accumulation inside the cylinder where the float. The float is designed to rise as the tank is filled and lower as it gets empty, when it reaches a point where the fluid is very low, the light come on the dash. So if it's stuck in the bottom then the light will always be on.

Allot of people say just disconnect the cable to the sensor. That will work but personally i hate leaving things disconnected. So here is what i did.

- accessed the reservoir through the driver side tire by removing the liner.
- emptied the tank by removing the tube from the pump.
- once the tank was empty i disconnected the sensor and pulled it out of the reservoir. you simply have to pull on it and it will come out.

I could have gone to Honda and bought a new one but decided not to.
$60 dollars is a little pricy for something i can fix.

So instead I cleaned mine. i sprayed it with brake cleaner and rinsed it out with water.
You can also use CLR or mineral spirits.

On the top side of the sensor there is 4 holes. so you can spray in them.

If you really want to you can even open the cylinder and remove the float completely to clean it (that's what i did)

in the image that i have attached you can see that there is a little ridge, you can pry it gently (there is 2 small plastic grooves, be careful don't force.
I decide to take mine apart to clean it. Once it was clean and dry I put it together and used some silicone sealant around the ridge.

put it back in the tank connected the cable and that's it. Works like a charm

By the way, do not use RainX windshield washer fluid the one that is yellow the de-icer one.

That stuff will kill the **** out of the float. it has some sort of substance that sticks and that's what caused mine to stop working.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0039Modified.jpg
Views:	5793
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	80821  
Old 05-12-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Windshield washer sensor

I did not know this :O very informative, as I also have a Canadian civic with this sensor
Old 05-12-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Omg this is PERFECT! I've been wanting to fix mine for a while. I live in Ottawa too. I haven't heard about this problem much in the states, but that's probably cuz they don't use theirs as much. Me and my cousin (DarkSouljur) both have had this light on since buying our cars :P

+1 for a great DIY for a very common issue!
Old 05-12-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Another useless sensor the car doesnt need... good writeup though
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

OMG Thank you. It's been on my car since i got it, and was planning to leave it along but deep down it's always bugged me lol. I was going to get my uncle to replace it for like $50. But this is much better.

+1, very useful
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

marvinzon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing the black object on the side isn't the sensor right? It's labeled Denso and I'm pretty sure that's the motor. So, is the sensor on the bottom?
Old 04-18-2014
Registered!!

hyper_cool is an unknown quantity at this point

This fix only works given that the magnetic switch from what I can tell is working properly. Mine totally crapped out. I went ahead and cleaned the sensor as well as the float and mine wasn't stuck at all and not even dirty. It's the element inside the sensor itself. You can not open it since it's completely sealed due to electrical components. It was worth a try. I'm hunting down the part. So far it's around $50 the cheapest I find. It sucks we don't really have junkyard here . Great Info by the way.
Old 04-18-2014
Registered!!

hyper_cool is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody know the real part number for this Washer fluid sensor. I'm getting two from Toronto Honda parts. I don't know which one is which. The one that has a picture is kind of different from what I have. 2004 Civic. Check the link:

http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...cal&illid=5947
Old 04-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hyper_cool
Anybody know the real part number for this Washer fluid sensor. I'm getting two from Toronto Honda parts. I don't know which one is which.
Instead of building your car from the list of drop downs, use your VIN instead and see if that narrows down the choices for you.
Old 04-25-2014
Registered!!

thewal will become famous soon enough

76835-s84-305
Old 07-26-2020
Registered!!

RESE is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this - also from Ottawa, still driving my 2001 Civic EX, and have had that light on for a year despite the washer fluid tank being full.
Finally decided to look it up - will try the remove and clean thing. If not, meh, more interior illumination. Tks.