7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Trans Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silentdub is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto Trans Shifting Question

Hey guys, I was looking at a friend's car and was a little confused as to what is going on and hope you guys can help.

2002 Civic 1.7 Auto W/OD

When shifting, not even while driving just moving the shifter I seem to not have D3. I go from P-N-D no problem, after D, it goes straight to D2 and completely skips D3. No only does the D3 lights no illuminate, the shifter physically doesn't seem to have enough positions to support the D3.

problem @2 is, when shifting from D to D2, the D light will blink even after shifting back. There is/was an intermitting code for the gear selector switch but before we replace that I want to understand what is going on first.

I'm not a civic expert by any means so I hope someone can explain what is going on.

Appreciate your time.

Old 08-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto Trans Shifting Question

I have a nickel that says:
Original trans took a dump. Someone replaced the trans and it was not the right one for the car. (SLXA vs BMXA, see if Google is working in your local area)

Now nobody can afford the right trans for the car.
Old 08-30-2018
Registered!!

No ****??? It didn't look like it was swapped but looks can be decieving I guess.

where is the trans code located on these? I'll check tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silentdub
No ****??? It didn't look like it was swapped
twas only a guess

Research

Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
twas only a guess

Research

Thanks, I will, At least it gives me a place to start. Do you know where I can find the trans code? Location?

Something had to be changed, the vehicle is showing more gears than the shifter as room to access. They either had to swap the trans, shift box/linkage or the cluster. There doesn't seem to be any physical room for that gear. I would say the linkage is out of adjustment but if that was the case I would expect to lose P or D2 not the gear in the middle.

Thanks for the input, appreciate the help.
Old 08-31-2018

Common repair issue is the original trans took a crap and had to be replaced.

You MIGHT be able to find a VIN tag on the trans case somewhere, then you could check what that car was.

Search this forum for 'BMXA SLXA' and see what you come up with there. Then Google search the same.
Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Common repair issue is the original trans took a crap and had to be replaced.

You MIGHT be able to find a VIN tag on the trans case somewhere, then you could check what that car was.

Search this forum for 'BMXA SLXA' and see what you come up with there. Then Google search the same.

Thanks, I searched and found some threads. I'll verify before proceeding. Thanks again, appreciate your help.
Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Please post the code for the blinking D light in this format P####

Could be a defective transmission range switch or out of adjustment, shift cable broken or out of adjustment, or shift cable joint in transmission or body worn.

Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

I believe it was a P1705 if I am not mistaken. My concern was the lack of range on the shifter which tells me something was changed.

The shifter shifts full range, Park is fine and the lowest gear is fine the D3 is skipped over. The shifter physically doesn't have any more room to move.

I'll take a closer look tonight and also verify the trans code.

if the linkage needed adjustment, I wouldn't expect it to miss skip a gear in the center of the shift pattern.

appreciate the advice.
Old 08-31-2018

You could just cobble the shifter mechanism so nobody can pull it below D and it would be fine, unless or until someone actually needed to pull it down past D.
Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

You could just cobble the shifter mechanism so nobody can pull it below D and it would be fine, unless or until someone actually needed to pull it down past D.
As long as everything works then fine, but there ay bean issue going in to OD but again I need to drive it to see for sure.

thanks though, appreciate the information.
Old 08-31-2018

but there ay bean issue going in to OD but again I need to drive it to see for sure
It's just a 4 speed trans with a lockup torque converter.
AFAIK what I remember reading about the two trans types-- was one came in cars built in North America and the other came in cars built in Japan. One can be bolted in place of the other but The differences in the range switch, manual detents and wiring differences cause the related code(s).

Erase codes then drive it with the shifter in D, see if it sets any codes.
You already know pulling the shifter past D will cause codes so don't do that.
Does it shift wrongly or have an obvious trans problem?
Old 10-01-2018
Registered!!

alvindeg is an unknown quantity at this point

A jdm transmission was put into the car. They don't have D3. I know cuz i've been looking for used transmissions online and see the jdm ones specifically saying that they don't have D3.