7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cleaning oxidized headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about
Question cleaning oxidized headlights

Hey well I was out for a bit and in the parking lot two guys noticed that my headlights were really foggy. and they were haha. Anyways they offered to clean my headlights and they did one and i liked the result so i let them do the other side...

What i wanted to know is have any of you ever cleaned your foggy headlights like this and was it hard... any differing steps?

what i saw they did was:
1. wet sanded with fine sandpaper and some slightly milky solution from a spray bottle.
2. dry them with three different towels.
after that they were scuffed up i would say but then
3. they sprayed some kind of polish or clear coat from a spray can(like spray paint)

that was all they did but they did come out looking very clear..
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: cleaning oxidized headlights

two strange men polished your headlight in a parking garage and the end result was a milky white substance
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Steez26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
two strange men polished your headlight in a parking garage and the end result was a milky white substance
Haha this made me lol!!
But in all seriousness yeah thats usually how you re-clear headlights. I'm sure there's a diy somewhere in this forum so you won't have to pay people for their milky discharge
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

lol it was just a parking lot. anyways what was that polish thing have you done that?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

They sell kits in autopart stores for that ive bought one they are expensive though but they work.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you can get a 3M headlight restoration kit at wallmart for 20 dollars its a 3 stage sandiing and polishing kit. as for the clear coat you said they sprayed on at the end i have no clue i hope it wasn't some kind of lacquer or something who knows ??? this is the 3M kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

indyhondagirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: cleaning oxidized headlights

There are lots of products at auto parts stores, ranging in price from $5 to $25, turtle wax makes a kit for about $9 I bought it it has a spray lubricant, 4 small sandpaper pieces, gloves, and a sealant I did my civic and my sons civic and it worked very well for the money took about an hour each car but results were well worth it.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

Anyone tried the mothers powerball?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive used "BlueMagic" I think its called. It works wonders. use it on a blue rag(chemical is blue) and you will see all of the yellow-greenish gunk come off the headlight.

You gotta use some elbow grease on it though I put my whole body into wiping it. Don't let it sit long, or it will dry and haze up.
Old 04-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i got the powercone and its worth every penny. doesnt scratch either and works great with mothers plastic polish. the powerball for headlights looks pretty good too.

Originally Posted by hath33
Anyone tried the mothers powerball?
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I just use super fine grit and plain old H2O. Wipe and dry real good then spray on clear coat (yes, out of a spray can). This method works on plastic and glass.

sand paper- free, had it laying around
water- nearly free, I pay $1 a day for water
clear coat- free, had it laying around
watching you guys spend money on a kit for something I did for nearly free- priceless
Old 04-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

LoL yea automotive sandpaper does work but it takes longer than the powerball or something like that. The kits though are very overpriced but if you don't care to take the time to piece it all together (buying sandpaper) than by all means buy the kit.

Mine are due too... damnit... I hope I run into a couple strangers in a parking lot too that are willing to clear my headlights whilst creating milky residue.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

tbohar do you want to creat milky residue xD
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

milky residue aside i think im gona go with the mothers unless i can find something better between now and then