7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

You try to hate it but just cant do it. 41mpg avg

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
batman900 will become famous soon enough
You try to hate it but just cant do it. 41mpg avg

Well my Civic always forces me to despise it, rattles, squeeks, sloppy shifter, rough ride, slow as sin!!! ect ect .....

However I cant argue with the fact that it is stone cold reliable and gets a MPG that would make hybrids jelous.

Recently I took a trip from central Oklahoma to Dallas Texas, did some city driving while there, highways were stop and go, floored it a couple times to pass people, ran the AC mildly, drove back to Oklahoma, did a couple days of around town driving, took a small trip 45min away and came back. Just FINALLY filled back up "at the same gas station that I always use" and did my avrage. She got 41MPG !!!

Car is a 2003 2 door EX manual 60k miles. Has subs in the trunk, strut bar, large cat-back, child in the back seat + other random weight and I didnt baby the car at all. Tires, plugs, battery are new, air filter clean, tires at correct presure and oil is synthetic. Gas used is same as always Shell 89.

Just goes to show, take car of your civic and it will still anoy the heck outa you but it will also still always love you.

Last edited by batman900; 11-02-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: You try to hate it but just cant do it. 41mpg avg

you should try 87 you mite get evan better mileage.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

hondajordan6194 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey what was your average speed on that way cause i drove for about 4 hours in my civic highway and i only got 32 mpg avg speed 77
Old 11-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

55mph gets the best mileage, as you increase speed it starts to go way down. 65 is pushing it but anything higher you will use alot more gas.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

^ Good Explanation...
Old 11-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i got 42 mpg once too going around 60-65mph mostly 95% highway in the summer on flat roads.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

But, mostly interstates are 65 so i usually go 70-75 and get like 34-36...
Old 11-04-2009
Premium Member

alot of them up around chicago are only 55, but you better at least be doing 65 in the slow lane cause the average speed is 80-90 in the other lanes lol
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

Yep, i have been there.. I am scared to drive my civic up there because of that.. Civic feels like its going fall apart when going 80+ miles, lol.. I take the CL-S when going to cities like that.. Washington is the same way...
Old 11-04-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I tested that. I don't have true numbers on hand but I drive my civic only to work and back and its about 100 miles total a day, all highway. I drove there going 65 and 80 and got just about the same gas mileage going that speed using a full tank.... I was surprised that happened.
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

turbo zombie is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ i had almost the same type of drive at my previous job, averaged 37 with an auto. 96 miles both ways, only about a mile and a half under 40mph. there was always traffic with me, so i was never pushing a lot of air on my own. the same road, with less traffic, i got less mpg.
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

^Because u are automatic...
Old 11-04-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was 95% highway with a manual vic.
Old 11-04-2009
Premium Member

usually manual gets better mileage if you know how to drive.
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

Highway driving was mostly hills both ways 65-70mph, city and all the stop and go was ofcourse random. It just amazed me that I never even try to baby it or get good mpg and she just does it on her own even with things against it
like extra weight, AC ect ect. I can just imagine if I didn't have the extra weight, turned AC off and did all highway at a solid 65mph. Bet it could hit 45+ mpg
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

Oh yea... I mean the only reason i really bought this dx is because of gas....
Old 11-08-2009
Registered!!

otbexige is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i got 42 mpg once too going around 60-65mph mostly 95% highway in the summer on flat roads.
no disrespect...but you need to drive faster. It has nothing to do with owning a civic, you just need to drive faster LOL
Old 11-08-2009
Registered!!

Acem2ex is an unknown quantity at this point

I drove my civic 1250 miles from Kentucky to Colorado drafting the Uhaul with a 2007 mustang being pulled behind it, first stop was 32.61 MPG, second 39 MPG, 3rd 40.54 MPG, 4th 41.08 MPG, and then the last fill was after all the uphill climbing @ 36.42 MPG... All I have to say about that trip is that Kansas is the worst state to drive through... We stopped 5 times because the uhaul drank gas... it was getting 6mpg the whole time. Most of the drive was @ 75 mph

Even though I have a manual, it was full of crap for the whole trip...

I was still really impressed with the gas mileage though, made me happy

Used to a POS 3.8L V6 getting 14-18.

Last edited by Acem2ex; 11-08-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2009
Premium Member

its hard to drive fast when the limit is 55 and you see a popo every 5 minutes and uhaul sucks a big one, we drove one in town a total of 10 miles and it got 2 mpg lol. i cant imagine driving one on the interstate it already wanted to fall apart going 35mph.
Old 11-08-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

its hard to drive fast when the limit is 55 and you see a popo every 5 minutes and uhaul sucks a big one, we drove one in town a total of 10 miles and it got 2 mpg lol. i cant imagine driving one on the interstate it already wanted to fall apart going 35mph.
double post.
Old 11-08-2009
Registered!!

i hear that i just got a ticket for $350 for doing 72 in a 65.
Old 11-08-2009
Premium Member

lol thats crazy! 350 isnt that for going 25+ over the limit? around here its maybe 150 for 10 over.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2009
Registered!!

sk8nbmxr411 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got pulled over for doing 72 in 65! The cop said it smelt like i had been smoking, which i had not done in long time . Soo he got his dog (with my consent because i hardly ever smoke in my car) and burried way under my seat was a small joint roach that he said i was smoking while he pulled me over so i got a DUI. Long story short i had to pay about $800 i tickets just for going 7 miles over the speed limit. Lessons learned:1 Don't speed 2 Don't do drugs... in your car and 3 NEVER EVER give consent to a search big mistake!
Old 11-09-2009
Premium Member

that sucks man, but unfortunately if you said no to the search, he wouldve brought the dog anyway. and if dog signals that there are drugs, he is allowed to search. always keep the car clean! esp inbetween the seat cushions. i found all sorts of money when i went cleaning the seats and floors.
Old 11-09-2009
Registered!!

sk8nbmxr411 is an unknown quantity at this point

This was in my Sentra and i keep my cars pretty clean it just happened to get its way deep down in there. Bad luck or something. But that is just my winter beater now and l would never smoke in the civic.Pretty close to problem solved haha.

and i get like 35mpg with my civic its amazing!!
Old 11-09-2009
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2003 honda civic lx coupe AT and the highest i ever got was 34.2 mpg