7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

drls on a 2004 civic?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
em2_jdmboy is an unknown quantity at this point
drls on a 2004 civic?...

does any know if there a diy on how to put drls on my 2004 em2?... thanks in advanced!...
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: drls on a 2004 civic?...

every em2 already has drl .....i dont understand what youre trying to do.

or do you mean that they dont work? and you are trying to make them work? you should have two headlight bulbs. one is your drl/high beam, and the other is your regular headlight beam.
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

on my 2004 i dont have them?... unless its not working?...=/... i want it to look like this...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nda-civic.html

please help...
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

get a drl module??? i dont know mine came stock with drls
Old 10-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

canada cars all come with drl. in usa, only 06+ civics have drl. you want to add hi beam drl? there are alot of kits available you can buy. i have a turn signal drl kit for mine but they went out of business recently.
Old 10-28-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

How Do I Make The DRL's Work In The HighBeam Light.. I Guess I Wont Have The High Beam Light Then? Or U Can Make Both Work...
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can do both. the drl uses the hi beam bulb at 1/2 power, but at night with the headlights on, the drl is disabled so hi beam works like normal. i guess you could even look for the factory drl that honda uses in canada but not sure how to wire it. i think some auto stores carry drl kits too.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

man...the trouble you guys are going through for your drls that are useless.

i pulled my fuse and completely disabled mine because drls are useless. i just twist the headlight switch the first twist to turn on my front signals/parking lights. they are way more visible on my car than the drls were anyway.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

sk8nbmxr411 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also want my drls in my high beam spot. I have blue high beam bulbs that with the high beams on you cant really tell are blue. I want to use those for my drls. I know that they wont be very blue just because they are halogen bulbs but if i got the drl kit, can i wire my drls to be on at the same time as my low beam 8000k HID. I got my high beam bulbs on egay for 10 bucks. They work great for high beam but what about for DRLs? They are 100W 8000K 12V. Sorry for the thread jacking!
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unTuned
man...the trouble you guys are going through for your drls that are useless.

i pulled my fuse and completely disabled mine because drls are useless. i just twist the headlight switch the first twist to turn on my front signals/parking lights. they are way more visible on my car than the drls were anyway.
It Looks Nice When U Just Have It On..
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

those ebay ones should work fine, it will still be white cause of the blue coating in drl mode. and if they are really 100w, they will run at 50w for drl mode, which is brighter than stock but with the coating you lose some light too so it balances out.

i love my amber turn signal drl, its very bright and noticable even on sunny days. and its saved me from accidents on more than one occasion. they put more light out above the horizontal than park lights and even headlights combined.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

so do you know anywhere i can get the kit so i can use my highbeams as drls and highbeams?...
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

I need this kit as well. If I want my drls to stay on when i turn on my low beams do i need a different kit?
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

you are gonna have to do some custom wiring for that to happen. and the law states that drl must be shut off when the lo beams are on. otherwise it will be excessive glare at night. and your hi beams wont work properly if they are being used as drls. seems like more trouble than its worth.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Wow I did not think it would be such a pita. Thank you for saving me the headache. What kit should we buy for the highbeam drls?
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

i havent seen any available but i will post one if i see it. check local auto stores too they may have some in the fog light section.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

What exactly am i looking for? just a Daytime running light kit... like thats what it will be called? And is there a certain one for my car or would any work?
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

it would be a universal drl conversion kit for the hi beams. ive seen the cheap simple ones that use the lo beam as drl, but those arent great cause lo beams arent as bright during the day.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Awesome! thank you very much gearbox
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

if you want it so you can have your drl + regular headlights at night, not only would it be a bitch to get wired to work that way, but you have to remember that your drl bulb is not covered by a reflective shield to point it backward into the housing like a regular beam headlight does. it is pointed directly outward, and even though its not as bright as the full powered high beam, it would still give off the same glare that a high beam does at night. you would get someone telling you to ****off every single night guaranteed.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

yea I am just going to buy the high beam drl conversion kit, if I someone can tell me where to get one!
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i love my amber turn signal drl, its very bright and noticable even on sunny days. and its saved me from accidents on more than one occasion. they put more light out above the horizontal than park lights and even headlights combined.
gb, what do you mean by that exactly? turn signal drl? you have it setup so your signal/parking light turn on right when the car is turned on? or do you just give the headlight switch the first of two twists so they come on? how is it different than stock?
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sk8nbmxr411
yea I am just going to buy the high beam drl conversion kit, if I someone can tell me where to get one!
contact this guy and ask a couple questions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAYTI...ltDomainQ5f100

from the description it sounds like it gives half power to a regular headlight bulb, so it would work perfect on an 01-03 since everything is provided by 1 headlight bulb. but since you are using two different bulbs, im wondering if you hooked it up to a high beam bulb, if it would stay on at half power when you turned on your other lowbeam, or if it would shut off the half powered high beam. (you would want it to shut off.)
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

also contact this guy and ask the same thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAMSA...Q5fAccessories

tell him you have different bulbs for lowbeam and high beam and you want to make sure the half powered high beam completely shuts OFF when you turn on the lowbeam at night.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Awesome thank you for the links. I will talk to him and see if this is what I need.
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

my drl module is connected to the front turn signals (the bright filament of the 7443 bulb, behind amber lens). its a self contained unit wired to the ignition so it turns the signals on when you start the car. turning park lights on deactivates the drl system. i also have a drl switch so i can turn them off if i want during the day. when using the signal, drl will deactivate on only the side that is signaling. other side remains lit. the side that is signaling will blink in sequence with the rear signal, as if there was no drl hooked up. then after signaling, drl comes back on. alot of other cars use this method stock like saturn, gm, corvette, etc. this is the best drl because the turn signal provides the highest off-axis illumination and the amber color attracts attention due to the human eye being more sensitive to that color compared to white. this type of drl system also does not confuse people or mask the turn signal as other hi beam or dedicated clear bulb drl systems do. i also have polarg bulbs with a focusing lens as the 7443 bulb so they are very bright. at night they hurt to look at. during the day they are visible in the sun but look best on cloudy days. i do have some issues tho, using them in the summer has melted a small part of the reflector housing, and the bulb sockets are halfway melted and brown. sockets are easy to replace, but headlamps are a bit more expensive. also there is some cloudiness inside the amber piece. overall its not very noticable so i keep using em.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-29-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

oh nice. yea i like that setup. thats cool how the brighter filament is always on as your drl and then it flashes bright/dim when you signal then goes back bright again when you shut it off.

i have the same idea as you going on, but since i disabled the drls, i just give my switch one twist whenever i get in the car so that my parking light/signal is always on like you can see in the avatar by my name and i dont have any headlight drls. i personally think having your signal and/or parking light as your drls is way better than having actual headlight drls. the difference in mine though is that my signal flashes dim to bright in the day or night, where yours is opposite during the day. that would be nice to have.

i guess having that housing getting burned and the socket starting to melt is the price you pay to have that setup. it makes sense though since half the time your light is constantly burning at maximum brightness and never gets a break. it probably heats up hot as hell in there. the housing isnt used to it nor designed for the constant temperature.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

yeah thats how it is for most cars with separate drl. bulb just gets too hot for the small area.