7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Headers/Downpipe Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Headers/Downpipe Problem?

Hey guys, i've looked around some and just cant find anything on this. So here's the story, last year I bought some DNX headers from summit racing, they are for the D17a2 and they were on the clerance rack so picked those up and really havent done anything with them except heat wrapped them over the winter as I was waiting for everything to warm up before I started working on the car. So I just ordered a downpipe and opened it up. So, as you can see in the pictures the header has a flat bottom (like the tube) and the downpipe almost has a little funnel, it doesnt like fit together right. The header will wiggle around and not sit flat into the downpipe. I thought this was all wrong and got all mad and looked around at buying header/downpipe combo's, just so I'd know they'd fit, and looking at pictures they all look to be this way (from what i've seen, with the funnel shape on the downpipe but a flat bottomed header) So basically is this supposed to be this way? Or am i screwed, go spend 300$ on a combo? thanks for the imput!

Name:  IMG00303.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  IMG00299.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  IMG00301.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Headers/Downpipe Problem?

lol dude you need to buy a donut gaskit bring it to napa so you can figure out the size you need there like 5 bucks problem solved. and header wrap is not a good idea they trap heat and cook the metal well obove recommendation by the manufacturer making the metal brittle over time they also trap moisture that will cause premature rusting and also absorb oil which can cause a fire ditch that and get thermo-tec heat jackets they do none of the obove and allow the metal to properly expand there also easier to put on and off its so much better.here is a pic of the gaskit and header jackits.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-15-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

better yet get it jet-hot coated.
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yea but jackets are cheaper and you can install them with the header on the car.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-04-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2009
Registered!!

lightningslp77 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol header wrap on stock internals????
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know a place i can get d17a2 header alone to buy?
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

ebay
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

Yeah^ebay, or you can order them from alot of other websites (andysautosport ect)

So i got the headers/downpipe on, but does anyone know, the car runs sorta rough now and I'm pretty sure it has to be re tuned now right? I also have the CEL for the 02 sensors, but they were both installed right. So im guessing it needs re-tuned?
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

no you got rid of the cat so your second o2 sensor thinks you have a bad cat you have to take the second o2 sensor out of the path of the direct airflow with a o2 cell eliminator this tricks the ecu into thinking there is a cat weapon r makes a good angled eliminator thats what i use otherwise your car will permanently run like sheet eating up gas and doing damage in the long run here is a pic there like 50 bucks.dont worry i made the same mistake live and learn .

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-26-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

So there's just alot more air moving past the second 02 sensor really fast so it thinks the cat is bad? correct?
And 50$ seems pretty expensive, lol, do they make off brand that are just good?
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

YodaGuy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading this the other day https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...simulator.html I think this is what you are looking for if you want to do it cheap.

Last edited by YodaGuy5; 05-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Ah, thanks for the link. I read the whole thread, but I could not find. You buy two of those "non-foulers" drill out one, and leave the other. So aer the non-foulers threaded where the 02 sensor would go in/where you connect the two nonfoulers together? I wouldnt think they would be but in the final picture it looks as if it is all threaded together? Idk, ill have to hit up advanced auto, the only problem is I wont have a chance between school and work for another week :/ this isnt cool, im so tired of the CEL and the car running like crap! lol
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

the reason i told you about the weapon r one is because its angled withe the defouler method it sticks straight out and you mite run into clearance problems.i think blox makes one for 35 bucks.
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by youngjosh12
Ah, thanks for the link. I read the whole thread, but I could not find. You buy two of those "non-foulers" drill out one, and leave the other. So aer the non-foulers threaded where the 02 sensor would go in/where you connect the two nonfoulers together? I wouldnt think they would be but in the final picture it looks as if it is all threaded together? Idk, ill have to hit up advanced auto, the only problem is I wont have a chance between school and work for another week :/ this isnt cool, im so tired of the CEL and the car running like crap! lol
Read the exhaust FAQ thread in my sig.

To get rid of your likely CEL issue- buy one non fouler and put it on the secondary O2 sensor. It pulls it out the exhaust stream and makes it so you dont throw your sell since it tells the ECU that your exhaust is less polluted then your primary. If you want an angled one... go with this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...#ht_1727wt_921
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the link triz, i just picked one up
Old 05-07-2009
Registered!!

Yeah, okay, so just bought the de-foulers at advanced auto, figured I'd give it a try for 4$. So basically it was real easy to do, but lowlife, you called it, the clearance is wrong. Went around town but couldnt find an angled 18mm adapter around here, so looks like i'm gona have to wait a week to get an angled one. So earleir you said I could be eating gas and doing damage? Should I not be driving with the CEL on for this? Like is the damage you are refering to just eating gas? Just wonderin, thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2009
Registered!!

lightningslp77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving with the CEL on changed alot for me. Whether you realize it or not your car runs on a stock tune from the manufacturer. When I changed out my headers and the CEL came on my gas mileage went to crap and my car was hesitant to shift at certain points (automatic + ecu)

When I took it to my boys at the shop to get looked at the ECU made the error code for air overflow or some stupid error like that and my car was running way too rich and just dumping gas to get nowhere.

Physical damage? Not so much. But your car is going to get around town like you with one leg in a foot race. Once I tricked out my car with a fouler (again another pain in the ***) it started to run normally again and didn't rev as high.
Old 05-08-2009
Registered!!

you will be fine to drive for awhile like this its just going to eat up gas .and what size donut gasket did you get i need to replace mine.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.