7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bolt-Ons Worth It for D17A1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AkaDeathstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Bolt-Ons Worth It for D17A1?

Yea, so i have a 2004 Civic DX (Automatic), D17A1 Engine. Currently I have an AEM V2 SRI intake and have been reading alot of posts on how this engine is not good for bolt-ons. Even after all the posts iv'e read im still curious about if this engine has got any power that can be let out with bolt-ons and staying N/A. I would have to convert to an EX Setup and would like to get an Apexi WS2 catback, random tech hi-flow cat, DC 4-2-1 ceramic header and and apex power intake (universal one) filter to finish off the i/h/e setup. The intake has helped a little, but it just feels like something is holding the engine back haha. I know this is probably not worth the money for the gains, but will i see any decent gains with this set-up?, Let me know thanks

Last edited by AkaDeathstar; 03-19-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Typing Error
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bolt-Ons Worth It for D17A1?

Minimal safety and reliablility, yet fastest, cheapest way to make torque on 1688cc motor low in the band = nitrous oxide.

My tuner-guru somewhat sorta kinda implied that a D17A2 would take upwards of a wet 75 shot reliably. (I would be much more comfortable with a 50 shot myself).

That would be the best "immediate-gratification" answer imo.

I really have no idea how much the NO setup would cost, it was the first thing that came to mind.

After that, a for sheezy 3-way valve job, minor porting/polishing, plus a JDMfabtech-esque intake manifold and larger throttle body...it starts getting unaffordable real quick. Its hard to make tiny motors move lots of air without turbochargers. You need to spin something really fast to get the same mass flowrate of say, a 2.0-3.0L powerplant. Things that spin really fast without blowing up are usually expensive, hence out of the question.

The whole point is you need to upgrade the most restrictive part of the system first, which in the case of the stock D17, is the air pump. Make it pump more air first. Then bolt ons are worth it.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

G617 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the LX to EX head swap DIY that xproductions(z) wrote. I'd start there. This will give you VTEC and inconjuction with i/h/e, you'll notice a gain. It won't be a huge gain though, but it'll be better than 115hp. Honestly, the only way to get more out of our D17 is to turbo it. Even if you rebuild your engine for N/A, you still won't be anywhere near the numbers of a forced inducted D17. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) The D17 is just too restrictive. If you do go turbo, save the money and do it right. That's what I'm in the process of doing... rebuild, boost, then tune. But then again...you have an automatic, so turboing can be done, but in the long run can damage your tranny.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Yeah i was thinking about doing that head swap so i could get VTEC, then do more bolt-ons, is it expensive to do and what parts would i need to do it?

Last edited by AkaDeathstar; 03-19-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Nine!!!
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Well actually i was just reading about mini-me swaps for a D17A1 engine and you cant swap say or Y8 or Z6 (VTEC heads) because there different sizes. The only head swap available would be a D17A2 from a 7th gen EX but I'm not sure if that would really be worth it , has anyone on here done this?, seems like it mite require alot of work, what do you guys think?

Last edited by AkaDeathstar; 03-19-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AkaDeathstar
Yea, so i have a 2004 Civic DX (Automatic), D17A1 Engine. Currently I have an AEM V2 SRI intake and have been reading alot of posts on how this engine is not good for bolt-ons. Even after all the posts iv'e read im still curious about if this engine has got any power that can be let out with bolt-ons and staying N/A. I would have to convert to an EX Setup and would like to get an Apexi WS2 catback, random tech hi-flow cat, DC 4-2-1 ceramic header and and apex power intake (universal one) filter to finish off the i/h/e setup. The intake has helped a little, but it just feels like something is holding the engine back haha. I know this is probably not worth the money for the gains, but will i see any decent gains with this set-up?, Let me know thanks
I have an LX that I converted to EX setup. I've got the DC 4-1 header, SRI with secret weaponR filter, Random tech Hi-flow cat, and greddy evoII exhaust. I notice almost no difference in speed... maybe a very small amount. I'm not sure what more I would feel with a VTEC head, but I'm sure it would also be minimal. In my opinion, if all you're wanting is more power then bolt-ons aren't gonna cut it for you.
Old 03-19-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
Nine!!!
It's spelled, "Nein".....savage....

Honestly, with slushbox, you've got to play with the shiftpoints. Dropping weight would be a good priority. Get AAA, lose the spare tire and jack, move the battery to the trunk and start thinking about getting rid of the stock hood and trunk. Since you've done the basic bolt-ons, I would move to suspension to make the car a little more nimble and responsive to your driving. Aside from a manual tranny swap, bottle feeding it (waste of money IMO), or a turbo kit, there's not much else you can do.
Old 03-19-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

<---- dumbass

lol i spell check it too...lol
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

LOL.....

It kinda sucks but that's the D17. It comes down to whether you wanna be the guy at the light with the Neon SRT-4 or ridiculously obnoxious Cellica saying look at that Civic fitted with all his gages.... let's race... then he looks stupid because you just handed him a quarter mile *** whoopin in a Civic... or the guy that says with all the money I'm spending, I might as well get an Evo or something. I was that guy before... I'd rather give *** whoppins in a Civic
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

thanks Lord ET, haha dammit the D17A1 is wack, i think i mite see a decent increase with the D17A2 head tho, i just dnt wana do it if its gona be a pain in the *** to install and get all the parts. From what iv'e heard i need the D17A2 head, harness, and ecu to do the swap, which doesnt sound too bad for the gains
Old 03-20-2008

I got my *** whooped in a 1/4-mile by an SRT-4 at the light. He was running slicks though. I don't think it was a fair fight...
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by speedfoos
I got my *** whooped in a 1/4-mile by an SRT-4 at the light. He was running slicks though. I don't think it was a fair fight...
Sucks doesn't it?
Old 03-20-2008

Yeah, but it was the fastest Neon I've ever seen. Bastard runs 12s.
Old 03-20-2008
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

I almost got punched in the face at school the other day because I called some guys SRT-4 a Neon.

Me: So how does that neon drive?

Guy: What......

Me:... Your car.. your Neon.. How is it? Pretty nice?

Guy: Its not a neon. Its an SRT-4.

Me: But it looks the same as a neon.. with a lip kit, wheels and an intercooler in the front and a bigger motor.

Guy: Exactly. Its not a neon. Its an srt-4.

:ause::

Me: Ok.
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Yeah, but it was the fastest Neon I've ever seen. Bastard runs 12s.
Wow... They're only 212hp from the factory. He put some money into it.
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
I almost got punched in the face at school the other day because I called some guys SRT-4 a Neon.

Me: So how does that neon drive?

Guy: What......

Me:... Your car.. your Neon.. How is it? Pretty nice?

Guy: Its not a neon. Its an SRT-4.

Me: But it looks the same as a neon.. with a lip kit, wheels and an intercooler in the front and a bigger motor.

Guy: Exactly. Its not a neon. Its an srt-4.

:ause::

Me: Ok.
LMAO!!! Yeah those NEON SRT-4 owners are very sensitive about their car being called a Neon. It's not our fault it's a Neon. It could worse though. They're lucky it's not a Plymouth Neon SRT-4