7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So Straight Up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cancov is an unknown quantity at this point
So Straight Up...

Does my '01 EX Coupe have two cats, one after the headers and then another behind the door? Why I ask is because I'm looking to put on a Skunk2 universal muffler on the end and am wondering do I need to get a resonator to smooth out the tone as I've heard of really ricey sound clips. Will the two cats accomplish this without a resonator? I don't have a silencer but it can more easily be added than a resonator.
Old 07-03-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: So Straight Up...

Its one cat, with dual bricks, under the car.
Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

So how does that compare to a resonator?
Old 07-03-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

uh, they're 2 totally different things. A catalytic converter scrubs **** out for emissions purposes, and a resonator cancels out sound frequencies.
Old 07-03-2007
Registered!!

Uh, yeah I get the whole emission, save the environment, lets hold hands and sing concept but where do I need to put a resonator assuming that the two bricks (cats) will not tone down the exhaust. Simply put, will a resonator, if applied, smooth out the tone recognizably from the oem cat and if so where will it go. After the last brick and before the muffler? I'm trying to see if I really need a resonator with the two bricks.
Old 07-04-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

what the hell is a brick. look man... you have ur engine...header..down pipe thats connected to ur cat converter. ur cat converter is for emissions..it cleans the air coming out the exhaust. it doesnt really tone down anything. after that you can put a resonator basically anywhere it fits. different positions after the cat and before actual muffler will produce a different tone but it still goes there. most likely if u buy a resonator..it will not just bolt up to the stock piping. this is pointless. if you get a muffler your car will be louder. why not just get a full catback and ull be fine. if your going to buy a resonator and a muffler then get the custom piping and be done with it. u dont need a resonator, but then again ull have just a fart can in the back... maybe some mufflers have a better sound but i highly doubt its the skunk2.
Old 07-05-2007
Registered!!

Ask boilermaker what a brick is. I had never heard of it either. When I look under there, it seems there are two cats and I'm just trying to get some suggestions about a resonator before I go to the muffler shop.
Old 07-05-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

u shouldnt worry about whats under there now if ur going to the muffler shop. just tell them u want a muffler, a resonator, and custom piping and call it a day.
Old 07-05-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

just buy a quiet catback system instead, you might actually save money if you put it on yourself, which is not that hard, and you won't be forced to drive around with civic that sounds like a very upset @$$hole.
Old 07-05-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

A "brick" is slang for a "cat" which is slang for a catalytic converter. You've got three levels of translation to do there.

There is only one cat for all intents and purposes, but it has two bricks in it. Make sense? So after the "cat", where your 3-bolt midpipe bolts up, is where your resonator will go.