8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

First big car purchase: is an Si right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronNerd is an unknown quantity at this point
First big car purchase: is an Si right for me?

Hey civicforum-ites, I've come to request your advice, tales, and help. I'm a pretty young guy looking to make my first foray into the world of auto purchasing. So far I've driven a Cavalier my parents bought for me and a Grand Prix that was in the family, which is my current ride. Since I've gotten out of college now and have a real job, I figure it's about time I treated myself with a car I'm actually going to enjoy. That being said, I've done some serious digging around and I think I want to pick up a Civic Si (though a Mazda 3 hatch is still very compelling). So I'm coming for your opinions and guidance.

I have in my mind that I would very much like to get a certified car if I'm going used, and luckily there are several in the area. There are a handful of things rifling through my head however. First, do I really *need* to buy a certified vehicle? I'd like to have the warranty and added assurance, but it does come with a price tag. Second, what year should I be shooting for? It looks like there are several 2007s and 2010s around, and both seem like perfectly valid options (though I have read about 2007s eating tires like cupcakes). Finally, would it be just as smart to just go new? I'm very torn on that, as there are definitely pros and cons. I'd rather not spend the extra cash when it seems like a certified used 2010 is almost as good as new. It does look like the hatch might be coming back with the new family though...

Anyway, in short, I'm having a lot of trouble making decisions here, and I'm hoping you can help me out. I really appreciate any feedback, thanks all!
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

LTDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: First big car purchase: is an Si right for me?

Keep in mind that an SI takes a big hit on fuel economy and takes premium fuel. Your average is going to be at least 4-5 miles less per gallon than the standard Civic. Civics are great cars, assuming the last owner took care of it. I, personally would be wary about buying a used SI, considering who normally buys them. They're usually bought by younger guys who tend to race the crap out of them. I'm sure there's great used SI's out there and the certified ones will allow for a bit more piece of mind. Make sure you negotiate on a used car if you go that route. Do a lot of research and find out what they're going for in your area. There tends to be more room for price negotiation on a used car than a new one. And make sure you're willing to walk out on a deal if the dealer won't give you what you want. As the buyer, you ALWAYS have the upper hand. Plus, there's many other dealerships that will sell you a Honda. Call around and see what they'll sell you an SI for. Then call around to other dealerships in the area and see if they'll beat that price.

I'm assuming as a recent college graduate (congrats by the way) you have little credit. Call your bank/credit union and see what kind of % they'll give you on a loan. Often they'll give you a better APR for a certified used car as opposed to a non-certified used car. Use that APR as a negotiation point too. The dealership wants to finance you, as they get a commision from the finance company on that too. They'll try to beat the rate that a bank will give you. If they can't beat it, just finance through your own bank.

And if you're trading in your old car, that's negotiable too. Do your research. Check KBB.com and edmunds.com to get an idea of how much money to expect to get for your trade-in. Print that out and bring it with you to the dealership. I guarantee they'll try to low-ball you on your trade-in. You can negotiate them up on that too. It sounds like a lot, but just be firm and calm. And whatever you do, don't feel like you HAVE to buy a car that day and don't get in a rush. You WILL be there for at least 4 or 5 hours buying a car. Don't be afraid to ask for anything either. If it gets to a point where they're like $400 over what you want to spend and they won't break, ask for an extended warranty or something else added in to the deal at no cost.

And, for the love of God, don't bring any friends with you to the dealership that get really excited and start talking you into something you don't want or can't afford. Just be patient and stand your ground. Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

I've bought about 10 new cars in my lifetime, and these are all the things that I've learned.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point

If not for the mrs. needing an automatic I would have got the Si for my daily driver.

In hindsight she never drives it anyway, so I do wish for more power and the abilty to row through the gears.
I would be cautious of a used Si- they could be low milage, but that milage is 1/4 of a mile at a time.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

You don't necessarily need to buy a certified car. The other 2 hit the nail on the head about Si owners. Usually driven by younger folks like myself, although I rarely wind my car out. Most guys cringe at that, but that's the way I am. You should see if you can find a private sale, as there are some older people out there who just use them as DDs and never take the car past 3000 RPMs. Over here, there's a woman who is about 80 who has an Integra Type R and I've seen about 20 dudes over 50 driving Sis, so I mean, shop around and if you can, get a carfax account. It might not help much, but it can give you a heads up on some stuff.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice guys, I definitely appreciate it. I suppose I didn't give the whole story... I've actually been out of college for about a year and a half now, and I have excellent credit (above 750) last I knew. I'm hoping that helps me in my shopping.

From the sounds of it, since Si's are driven so hard, a used one might be sketchy. That makes me desire a certified car even more, assuming I still decide to go with a used one. It also makes me lean toward a slightly newer ride, with less miles. Most of the 2010s I see in the area (or within 300 miles or so) have about 14k miles on them.

I did a little shopping about six months ago and got to deal with the standard run around, but I have the good fortune of having a car that works fine, so I really can walk away. Thanks again, I shall give this more thought. Any more suggestions?
Old 03-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you drive the car first. an si will not be as fast as you might be thinking, and the gas mileage is terrible because they run so rich and power isnt available in the lower rpms. there are much faster cars that get better mileage too. if you arent very experienced with different cars, i recommend going on a test drive spree at every dealer and pick the car you like the most at the end of the day.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

My friend had a civic si that he loved. He was on he freeway one day and a drunk guy hit him and totaled it. He then went and bought an evo and said it was the best purchase hes ever made. U can get some very great deals on used cars. Also when u drive ur brand new 2011 whatever u buy it instantly drops in value.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
make sure you drive the car first. an si will not be as fast as you might be thinking, and the gas mileage is terrible because they run so rich and power isnt available in the lower rpms. there are much faster cars that get better mileage too. if you arent very experienced with different cars, i recommend going on a test drive spree at every dealer and pick the car you like the most at the end of the day.
This by a long shot. It took me 6 months to find a new car. In the end, I found this car and I enjoy it very much. I wanted a Subaru, then another Corolla, then a Mazda and probably something else in those months. I only test drove a handful of cars, but I tried 2 Hondas and fell in love with them. I knew then and there what car I wanted. You should look at Mazdas. They're comparable in many aspects and you might be better off. Be wary of Evos and STis though. Those get beat on just as much, if not worse.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

So far my list of test drives is limited to a Civic Si, a Mazda 3, and a Mazdaspeed 3. Out of those, I did enjoy the Mazdaspeed the most, but I guess that's what a turbo does for you. I also considered looking at the VW GTI, but the idea of such a strict maintenance schedule always worried me. The EVO sounds like a lovely idea, and if I had the money to choose, I would go buy a new EVO right now. The price tag is quite prohibitive...

All the above being said, I very much enjoyed driving the Si. I also have a motorcycle, so I think it was something about the high revving engine that resonated with me. Any other suggestions for cars I should consider? I accept that I'm looking for something of an ideal situation here, something fun to drive that is a reasonable cost and preferably a reasonable MPG... Again, many thanks to you all for your advice!
Old 03-06-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried a Scion TC?Those seem to be popular amongst the young people where I live.If you're still gonna get used,most of the SI's from 06-09 are in the $15,000-$20,000 range.
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Oh yeah. The 2011 Scion TC's made some nice improvements over the previous ones. Toyota finally put the 2.5 Litre engine in it. And they finally got rid of that ancient 4-speed auto. The manual and autos are both 6 speeds now. And you can get one new for $20-21K. They're not blazing fast, but they come with a nice list of standard features. And the fuel economy is still pretty good. And if you already have a motor cycle to enjoy and beat the crap out of, I would probably lean more on the practical side for a car. Insurance on cars like EVO's can get pricey, especially for a young guy like you. And I believe the EVO gets 17/22 MPG and takes premium. That'll get old quick.
Old 03-06-2011
Trance Addict

The tC isn't a bad car for what it is. It's basically a 2dr Camry, though. Lol. I'd still add it to that list and give it a go.
Old 03-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Mazda 3's are also pretty well balanced cars - i see them doing the pissing dog action all the time (3-wheeled turns)
Old 03-06-2011
Trance Addict

My vote is for the Mazda personally. Have you considered the Genesis Coupe at all? I don't think it has been mentioned, but they're pretty nice as well. There is also the Altima coupe and the 370z. I don't know the prices off the top of my head though for the Nissans.
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

I will definitely try out the tC and see what all the fuss is about. I've heard some good things elsewhere. As far as the other suggestions go, they start to get higher than I'd like to pay, unless I can find something used. The Nissans (and the Genesis) run in the $22k+ range new. The 370z (which I would love!) goes a little higher than that. Honestly, and this might sound strange, the Nissan I've considered most is the Juke. Different animal, but again, I've heard good things. Beyond that, I've also considered the Kia Forte Koup, though I'm a little bit sketch on getting into a Kia.

Regardless, I think I truly need to do more soul searching and, more importantly, test driving. The Mazda 3 is great, and I think I need to take it out once more and put it through its paces. As far as driving excitement goes, I'm getting rid of my motorcycle (the roads here are not great for bikes, especially for the first couple months after winter) so I want to have something that makes me smile behind the wheel.
Old 03-06-2011
Trance Addict

Hey, that's all that matters....for the most part. Lol. As long as it's within your budget and you enjoy it, you made the right decision. Nobody wants to drive something they hate everyday.
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

You should also think about An RSX type S They are cool little cars and also have the k20 in them. i also here they are a little quicker than an SI prolly cuz they're smaller... Just throwing out another sugggestion lol
Old 03-07-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Lol,a 370Z would be pushing $40,000.But the tC's are decent cars.A nice two door coupe.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

I would suggest trying out the Kia and see if you like it. They're inexpensive and they show it. They have ridiculous torque steer. Plus, they seem to get wobbly at any speed over 65 after the first 20,000 miles or so. Plus the interior in the one I drove was S*** brown. Ugliest-ripoff-of-a-Volkswagon interior ever. As for the Juke, I haven't driven one yet, but I did check one out at the dealership. They're getting very good reviews. They're rather quick and still pick up pretty good milage. They're decently practical as they're kind of a hatchback. Fully loaded, they barely hit $24k, which is a good value. The only draw back I saw (assuming you like the styling) is the back seat is practically unusable for transporting people. Granted, I'm 6'5", but I could barely manage to get into the backseat sideways while my friend was driving it (He's about 5'10").