8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

$140 for Transmission fluid flush? Is that right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torontob is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb $140 for Transmission fluid flush? Is that right?

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2009 Honda Civic 4D DX-G (automatic) which has been driven 65,000km in the past 1.5 years. Green & Ross who does the service on the car insists on flushing the transmission fluid for $140 but I don't see indicator for Transmission Fluid on my Dashboard. Per below it should be a B3 but just today I got a B1. So, I am wondering if indeed I do need a Transmission fluid change.

1- Do I need to do anything other than following the codes in order to keep my car maintained properly and inline with the Honda warranty?

2- Can I change the transmission fluid myself (because I read it's an easy job) and would Honda be fine with that (in terms of warranty)

3- Can you re-command a cheaper place who is certified to do Honda for Transmission fluid? Wal-mart doesn't do transmission.

4- If I change the transmission fluid myself, then the indicator for it should not come up --- right or wrong? do the indicators really have a sensor that sense the bad oil or is just a timer that works based on the amount of time and the kilometers the car was driven?

P.S. the car is not driven in harsh dusty environment so the 48k rule don't think applies but Sub-Item-3 under B never came up on my dashboard so far (which I guess would look like as B3).

Thanks,

2009 CIVIC 4D DX-G Maintenance Schedule

Your scheduled maintenance is determined by the odometer reading or the time interval, whichever occurs first. However, most maintenance items are more dependant on distance driven than time.

Maintenance Main Symbols

Main Item A
Replace engine oil*

Main Item B/B1
Replace engine oil* and filter.
Service front and rear brakes.
Check parking brake adjustments.
Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
Inspect exhaust system.
Inspect fuel lines and connections.

Sub-Item 1
Rotate tires,** inspect for wear and adjust pressure.

Sub-Item 2
Replace air cleaner element.
Replace dust and pollen filter.
Inspect and adjust drive belt.

Sub-Item 3
Replace automatic transmission fluid.
Replace transfer case fluid (4WD Trucks).

Sub-Item 4
Replace spark plugs.
Inspect valve clearance.

Sub-Item 5
Replace engine coolant.

Sub-Item 6
Replace rear differential fluid (4WD Trucks, S2000).
Additional Items

12,000 km
Replace rear differential fluid and every 24,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer (4WD Trucks).

Every 24,000 km
Replace rear differential fluid if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds (S2000).
Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is regularly driven in urban areas with high concentrations of emissions from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.

48,000 km
Replace automatic transmission fluid (V6 Trucks) and transfer case fluid (4WD Trucks) and every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer.

100,000 km
Replace automatic transmission fluid and every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer (Accord)

Every 256,000 km
Inspect idle speed.

Every 3 years
Replace brake fluid.

Last edited by torontob; 12-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2010
Transmission Guy

Peoples Trans is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: $140 for Transmission fluid flash? Is that right?

Considering Honda doesn't recommend flushes, the price is way too much.

http://peoplestransmission.blogspot....mends-not.html

Flushing has become a popular gimic for shops to make money. The only time a flush is necessary is for HD vehicles that have continuously overheated the transmission. A simple drain and fill with genuine Honda fluid should do the trick. Expect around $40.

Jon
http://peoplestransmission.com
Old 12-20-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Time to get a new mechanic, NEVER flush you transmission, doing so has a long proven reputation of destroying well functioning transmissions. Not only that, but it would be completely unnecessary at your mileage.

That being said a 3 quart fluid change would be advisable, and its something that would be relatively simple for you do yourself. You'll need to buy a crash washer and 3 quarts of atf-z1 fluid from Honda, that should be around $30. Remove the drain plug with a 3/8 ratchet and let the fluid drain out, then replace the crash washer and re-insert the drain plug; pour 3 quarts of new fluid in with a long skinny funnel; with the car on level ground, running in Park check the fluid level it should be level with the second line. Drive the car around for around 30 minutes to let all the fluid circulate and check the level again, it should be a nice bright red colour.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the info guys. I would really appreciate if you can answer my questions one by one as not all of my concern is regarding only the price. Thanks
Old 12-20-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by torontob
Thanks for the info guys. I would really appreciate if you can answer my questions one by one as not all of my concern is regarding only the price. Thanks
1. Read the owners manual.
2. You can change it yourself, just keep a log of the mileage you do the changes it and receipts for oil and filters.
3. Honda is certified, thats it, no one else.
4. You need to re-set the indicator, again, instruction for that should be in the manual.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

I guess I shouldn't have said certified but I know that the rules in Canada allow for other service centers other than the car manufacturer to do the service on a car and yet the warranty can't be void due to that.

But I had no clue I can do the change myself and reset the indicator (I highly doubt there is any in regards to resetting the indicator in my manual as I have read it when I bought the car and nothing like that came up to me)

At the very least I thought Honda would require receipt from a service center rather than receipts of Oil or filter bought.

thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I would really stay away from the oil change places, we've had numerous people post on here with major problems after going to those places, they're just kids with 10 minutes training. They're mostly all overpriced as well, once you learn to change the oil yourself, it only takes a few minutes to do, well worth the peace of mind to know its being done right IMO.

It has the instructions in my 7th gen manual, I don't see why it would have removed those instructions for your year. Anyway, just keep pushing sel/reset until you get the correct indicator then press and hold it till it re-sets to 100%.Theres no actual sensor analyzing the oil and determining its life expectancy, its just a ticking clock, like the trip buttons.

I guess I shouldn't have said certified but I know that the rules in Canada allow for other service centers other than the car manufacturer to do the service on a car and yet the warranty can't be void due to that.

But I had no clue I can do the change myself and reset the indicator (I highly doubt there is any in regards to resetting the indicator in my manual as I have read it when I bought the car and nothing like that came up to me)

At the very least I thought Honda would require receipt from a service center rather than receipts of Oil or filter bought.

thanks for the input.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

I guess I was really ill-informed on this then. Thanks for all the info.

Would you know how a Sub Item would show on the dashboard?

As I posted above, there is a B/B1 description for maintainence and then there is Sub Item 1, 2, 3, etc...

If Sub Item is part of B like B1, B2, B3,etc...why is the B/B1 description separate from the Sub Item 1 description? Or does the B1 require B/B1 maintainence + Sub Item 1?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind:
All fluid changes can be done in your garage for about 1/3 of the price of anywhere else

and you have a 2% +/- 1% screw up rate

the biggest problem would only be stripping the bolt (which btw, oil change and dealerships do as well with their power tools)
or smashed washer

Never trust anywhere except for yourself to do fluid changes.
1. You dont know what fluids they use
2. You don't know how much they filled
3. You don't know how much they torqued the bolts
4. They don't care about your car as much as you do, and if they break something, they just charge you more claiming that it was your fault to begin with.
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

All this is amazing stuff to know. But why does Honda service maintainence online asks for Service Center name when recording service sessions? I am wondering if for a new car they REQUIRE at least a *service center* to do the service rather than the owner in person. I hope you get what I am saying. Not that I have a 1% doubt in my mind that in 3 years (which the coverage time for my car), I will ever need ANY warranty service from Honda because I know it will be a solid car for three years.
Old 12-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Personally, I would just take a drive over to your local dealership and confirm with them in person that you can do maintenance yourself. You sounds a lot like me the way you want to be absolutely confident before you decide to do go ahead with doing the service yourself . Trust me, once you do it yourself once you'll be hooked. It saves a ton of money, you have more confidence over the quality of the work, and you get to be one of the cool people who do their own oil changes haha
Most Provinces, I'm assuming your from Ontario based on your username, have laws that mandate automotive warranties allow owners to perform maintenance themselves. I'm almost certain that Ontario is one of the provinces with this law, but not having seen it written on a government website I can't be completely certain.
Old 12-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i just put in the maintenance records : my home
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
That being said a 3 quart fluid change would be advisable, and its something that would be relatively simple for you do yourself. You'll need to buy a crash washer and 3 quarts of atf-z1 fluid from Honda, that should be around $30. Remove the drain plug with a 3/8 ratchet and let the fluid drain out, then replace the crash washer and re-insert the drain plug; pour 3 quarts of new fluid in with a long skinny funnel; with the car on level ground, running in Park check the fluid level it should be level with the second line. Drive the car around for around 30 minutes to let all the fluid circulate and check the level again, it should be a nice bright red colour.
Thank you very much. I will be dropping by Honda today to buy the atf-z1 fluid and the washer.

I have read somewhere that it's better to only most of the fluid and not all of it as the pieces of metal from the components will come off more with new fluid. However, I know it would be easier for me to just change all as I don't know how to measure the fluid gulping out uncontrollably.

So, if the 3 quart (1.84 Liter) equal to a full level (line 2) of the transmission and hence I will let it drain when I have on 4 jacks?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A partial fluid change is much simpler than it sounds. All you will need to do is drain the fluid and add new fluid, no measuring involved, because some of the fluid remains trapped in the transmission and doesn't drain out. The total capacity of the trans is 6.3 quarts, you will be draining and replacing 2.5 quarts.

Once your done, you can drop off the old fluid at Canadian tire to be recycled.

Thank you very much. I will be dropping by Honda today to buy the atf-z1 fluid and the washer.

I have read somewhere that it's better to only most of the fluid and not all of it as the pieces of metal from the components will come off more with new fluid. However, I know it would be easier for me to just change all as I don't know how to measure the fluid gulping out uncontrollably.

So, if the 3 quart (1.84 Liter) equal to a full level (line 2) of the transmission and hence I will let it drain when I have on 4 jacks?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

Thanks MindBomber.

I thought the transmission fluid compartment is flat and all the fluid will come out. Now, that I have 3 quarts of the fluid, should I put only 2.5 like you said or do I have to worry that maybe 5 quarts come out the transmission rather than 2.5?

Cost with washer including taxes and some Ontario Rip Off fees:
$31.96 CAD

P.S. Honda stuff give me ATF DW-1

Last edited by torontob; 01-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

scott37300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MindBomber.

I thought the transmission fluid compartment is flat and all the fluid will come out. Now, that I have 3 quarts of the fluid, should I put only 2.5 like you said or do I have to worry that maybe 5 quarts come out the transmission rather than 2.5?

$31.96 CAD

I just bought the fluid and washer to do mine when I get time. I read a lot and asked a lot of questions to figure everything out. Here's the story, pull the drain plug and let it drain out. Only 2.4 qts or so will come out, the rest of the fluid is in the torque convertor and other places. You don't really need to measure it unless you want to. Just add new fluid till it reads full, take it for a drive and then re check and add if needed. If you are really concerned you can collect the old fluid in a milk jug and then use a seperate milk jug and fill equal to the old fluid and dump in. But the best way is to add just under two and a half qts and then check the level per the instructions in the manual.

This is pretty easy to do and you can't screw it up. Take bolt out and let drain, put new washer and bolt back. Fill to level on stick.

I have read that DW-1 is the new fluid replacing Z1, and DW1 is back compatable with the Z1. I was able to get the Z1 from my dealer.

Good Luck and try not to over think this to much, I did the same thing because I read you should do a full fluid change by taking the cooler line off and running it while adding new fluid. After many hours over thinking everything I went with what everyone here recomends-simple and easy drain and fill.

Another thing-the gen 8s do have an external trans filter, even though honda says it's not servicable. There is a thread from me about this a week or two ago. My car is at 30K so I am chosing to skip the filter change this time but will change it at 60K. Part number and location is in my post if you search for it.
Old 01-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thanks MindBomber.

$31.96 CAD

scout37300 explained everything pretty well, the one thing I'll add is that the results with DW-1 are mixed and it hasn't worked all that well with the older trans designs. If you noticed your shift quality degrades instead of improving go back to the dealer and do a change with Z-1. Thats what Honda recommends, personally I would try to make that a small change and only drain out a quart or so.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

scott37300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mindbomber, did I read right that honda is phasing out the Z1 for the DW1? Or did some dealerships go to only carrying one fluid since it's supposed to be back compatable? If so should I grab some more Z1 from my local dealer to have for the next few drain and fills so I don't have to worry about the DW1 issues?
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

KB09CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point

I always have the dealer do one transmission drain/fill atf replacement to keep the certified warranty up to spec. Then I will do a D/F every year on my own and keep the records with receipts date & mileage. I have always heard that Honda recomends 3 successive drain fills versus a flush machine on their transmissions. BTW, my dealer charges $97 for a drain/fill. I have never seen a $40 anything at a dealer.
Old 01-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

3 drain and fills is the method they use for flushing a transmission, like mentioned earlier that destroys transmissions. All that is necessary is a yearly drain and fill.

Honda has advised all their dealerships to carry both z-1 and dw-1, because although the full synthetic fluid is supposed to be back compatible it's really not. Honda recommends using dw-1 on all dealership service atf fluid changes, but to revert back to z-1 if shift quality degrades. Personally I would stick with z-1.